What did you do with your flock today?

Today we replaced the small Omlet coop I had in the bantam run. Not sure if I shared my most recent rat discovery? I was cleaning it out a month ago and discovered a giant hole in the tray of the Eglu Go. They had literally eaten away the plastic and were sitting under the coop eating all the spilled food that dropped thru the tray 🤬🤬 So I had to cover it temporarily with hardware cloth and bought a used coop off Facebook marketplace. So when I lifted the coop up to get it out of the run I found huge poop mounds under the coop 🤢🤢🤢 So disgusting 🤮. I’m hoping this new coop puts an end to their reign…every feeder is inside the coop and behind walls and floors. 😤 I also spread Koop Clean straw across their run and broke up and destroyed their tunnels. Then sat and watched them hunt the straw as if they would find something fresh and new beneath it. They also acted as if the new coop was a black hole of terror and only Roxy checked it out 🙄 So I made sure they went to bed tonight…and found all bit two of them crammed in the green Omlet coop and the other two snuggled in the dirt UNDER the new coop. I’m sure you will be shocked to learn one of the under the coop birds was the Silkie 😆 This coop is significantly larger too, so I’m hoping it will make them happy and provide space for some of my new additions :) I’m also thinking about selling some of my Brad Pack Cochins. It’s tough because they were some of my first chicks…and I feel super sentimental about them…ugh I just don’t know! Anyway some pics from this day of no rain (I don’t want anymore rain!) 😩

Attachments

• D5C36A3D-E280-4EDF-843B-3947D8794AC6.jpeg
    D5C36A3D-E280-4EDF-843B-3947D8794AC6.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 1
  • D0948099-A415-4483-BEDB-8AF6608BA5CC.jpeg
    D0948099-A415-4483-BEDB-8AF6608BA5CC.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 461983BA-BA06-438F-A0EA-8F68A314A3E0.jpeg
    461983BA-BA06-438F-A0EA-8F68A314A3E0.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 0C5B71B0-3788-4F33-BED5-4C1A67FEA731.jpeg
    0C5B71B0-3788-4F33-BED5-4C1A67FEA731.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • E7B24568-AF32-4BF5-8D6D-873047C0232D.jpeg
    E7B24568-AF32-4BF5-8D6D-873047C0232D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • ACD03858-19FD-4F77-A2C2-9B04CCCEC405.jpeg
    ACD03858-19FD-4F77-A2C2-9B04CCCEC405.jpeg
    808.1 KB · Views: 1
I took Mina out with me to work on the oldest run. Figured I should go ahead and go over it a bit...tidy and decide if it's worth painting. Instead I ended up just brushing Jasmine down. Think she was feeling itchy. She kept coming up behind me and rubbing her head up and down my sides and back. Ended up looking like it snowed horse hair. 🤣 Spring is definitely here...she's in full shedding mode. Didn't get much done but it was very relaxing.

Today we replaced the small Omlet coop I had in the bantam run. Not sure if I shared my most recent rat discovery? I was cleaning it out a month ago and discovered a giant hole in the tray of the Eglu Go. They had literally eaten away the plastic and were sitting under the coop eating all the spilled food that dropped thru the tray 🤬🤬 So I had to cover it temporarily with hardware cloth and bought a used coop off Facebook marketplace. So when I lifted the coop up to get it out of the run I found huge poop mounds under the coop 🤢🤢🤢 So disgusting 🤮. I’m hoping this new coop puts an end to their reign…every feeder is inside the coop and behind walls and floors. 😤 I also spread Koop Clean straw across their run and broke up and destroyed their tunnels. Then sat and watched them hunt the straw as if they would find something fresh and new beneath it. They also acted as if the new coop was a black hole of terror and only Roxy checked it out 🙄 So I made sure they went to bed tonight…and found all bit two of them crammed in the green Omlet coop and the other two snuggled in the dirt UNDER the new coop. I’m sure you will be shocked to learn one of the under the coop birds was the Silkie 😆 This coop is significantly larger too, so I’m hoping it will make them happy and provide space for some of my new additions :) I’m also thinking about selling some of my Brad Pack Cochins. It’s tough because they were some of my first chicks…and I feel super sentimental about them…ugh I just don’t know! Anyway some pics from this day of no rain (I don’t want anymore rain!) 😩
Wow and ugh on the rats! I'll know who to turn to if I ever have to deal with them... they're working hard to make sure you learn every trick to keep them out aren't they. ☹️
That's tough on the cochins but I know you'll make a good decision ❤️
Fingers crossed you get to stay dry! 🤞

I swear Stanley has a death wish! I was giving Ferdy a cuddle as he came and asked nicely. He was thoroughly enjoying his 'naked neck rub' when Stanley decided he wanted some of the action and jumped onto my shoulder. I gave him some attention and resumed playing with Ferdy's wattles. Obviously, that wasn't good enough as far as Stanley was concerned so he started pecking Ferdy's comb! Clearly he did not learn his lesson post fight! It's a good job Ferdy is so tolerant.
Oh, the surprises are never ending, it seems. Never a dull moment, huh?

Rats and mice are the worst! Hope the problem is solved. It has been nice not to see any evidence of them around the chooks coop and run. Sam has been catching shrewd lately. One day we watched playing with one, it went and hid in some tall lawn grass, I made it come out, and he watched it run under the car. As if saying, yeah, I can get that one later. 🥱 The girls love to scratch in new straw to find the hidden wheat berries therein. So do the mice and rats, especially when I use it for garden mulch. Hoping you all will survive this next round of rain. ☔

Oh @Shetland lover that is so funny. They are like possessive kids ♡. Their faces are saying "my mommy!" Beautiful babies, good times 😂 ♡!

@kurby22 what coop flooded? How is the new coop holding out? Weather is coming your way again. Hope coops stay dry and well and all chooks do well 🤞

You guys are about to get your next deluge. Same with us. Hope not too much wind as I am not prepared for big winds. The rain I love. Bring it!
Scraped boards this morning b4 taking dh to the airport and prepped the run when I got home after unloading truck. Leveled out the coop and run scape, added vitamins in the water, added an extra water inside broody coop and moved grit and calcium under the mini coop eaves... think we are good.
Washed pup yesterday eve so he is strictly inside dog, only need to put a sheet on Hombre. My sweetie gets cold in the rain ♡View attachment 3445402
Hombre is just gorgeous! 😍
I was just saying to DH how much I miss equinesand if my health was better I'd volunteer for Riding for the Disabled again. At least I'd have contact with horses again and I loved the absolute joy on the kids faces.

So happy Ruby is back to normal!

Clara voluntarily getting on my shoulder would have been unthinkable once, she refused to be touched and really disliked humans - all humans, not just me! She's been with us for 2 years and has tolerated being held for treatment but It's only the last 6 months that she's become super friendly. I think moving into Ferdy's coop has done her the world of good.

Thank you! Aria was so very happy. She and I both adore them. They seem to have much more personality than any of my other Cochin varieties. They are all sassy and curious and a bit bossy…but the my blue and splash roos are both standoffish and a bit rude. Whereas both of the bobtail men are very sweet and gentlemanly 😍 We attempted to introduce Wilhelm to the new couple and the new pullet just immediately gave him the “what for”. Poor Wilhelm had a small tear in his wattle and went tearing over to my husband and hid his face screaming his “omg what was that?!!” scream. If he hadn’t been bleeding I would have laughed a lot more at his very dramatic response. Then I felt sad because he lost his girlfriend who made him feel safe 😢 Hoping this pullet comes around! 🥴
I find bantam Cochin roos are a very melodramatic bunch - but i do love that about them 😂😍! If the new pullet doesn't come round, you'll just have to get a couple more for him to choose from:lau

Back
Top Bottom