What did your chickens do today?

Lol ok I'm still learning the ropes
hmm.png

My rooster is huge. He dwarfs my girls pretty badly, so when he gets on their backs his big feet and claws can tear into the skin as well as break feathers. Saddles give them a little extra protection. I dont know if it give him any grip or not, but I dont care, so long as my ladies dont get bruised, abraided, contused, worn out, plucked, biffed, scratched or mangled
wink.png

Yesterday my Alpha-hen Martha, the Australorp, decided that the dogs were apparently part of her flock, and were fair game to be bossed around. Dog was laying in the sun, sleeping, and rather than walk around her, Martha just gave her a few sharp pecks to the butt. Dog got up, gave me a long suffering look, and moved out of her way. Martha strutted off with a very self satisfied look on her face.
Last week my EE Buffy figured out she could fly up over the garden gate. She's the only one, the others are too fat. I found this out when my neighbor across the street called at 7 am to say one of my chickens was out. I bolted out the door, saw the gate was closed, and scratched my head in confusion. An open gate is usually the only time they ever manage to get out. I went looking for her, and found her two doors down, happily scratching in the leaf mulch along side my neighbor's drive way. She's pretty calm, and I was able to pick her up fairly quickly, with only a minimum of chicken swear words. That neighbor then poked her head out of the door and asked where I was taking her morning chicken. It turns out she's been getting out every day for almost a week, first thing in the morning, walking down to the same neighbor's house every day for about an hour, and then wanders home to get back into the yard where she returns to the coop to lay her daily egg. When I explained the situation, and that I had an idea on how to keep her in the yard, my neighbor was greatly saddened, she had come to look forward to her morning chicken visit. I brought her over and showed off my flock, and now she is considering getting a few bantams. Hooray for chicken ambassadors!

last night when i went to feed the chickens with my brother we were just finishing and one of the white leghorns got out of the coop into the outside world and he started chasing her trying to get her back in and forgot to close the door i tried to get to that side of the coop before someone else got out but three chickens were out and there is this one that you just touch her feathers and she will spaz and fly in all directions she was one of the ones to get out
barnie.gif
took us a 1/2 hour to get her in chased her through the fields and ugghhhh haha finally got them all in!
roll.png
yesss.gif
celebrate.gif

My chickens discovered sparrows. It was so funny watching them run up to the fence a to check them out. I think every single one of them had their necks stretched out as they would go.

Quote: Oh my! Well, I didn't know what saddles were either. LOL. Is this why most of my hens don't have any feathers on their backs? I know that Mr. Roo is pretty rough. How are the saddles attached? And what are they made of? Looks like cloth and I'm guessing I could make some pretty easily... (I'm all new at this, too, ya know!)
tongue.png
Maybe I could sell them on here? (That is, if I can make them! haha)

Last edited:
Quote: Oh my! Well, I didn't know what saddles were either. LOL. Is this why most of my hens don't have any feathers on their backs? I know that Mr. Roo is pretty rough. How are the saddles attached? And what are they made of? Looks like cloth and I'm guessing I could make some pretty easily... (I'm all new at this, too, ya know!)
tongue.png
Maybe I could sell them on here? (That is, if I can make them! haha)

I bought my capes at Louise's Country Closet online! They cost $14 for 2 of them! She does sell them here too! They attach by a pair of snap on elastic straps that go under the wings, like a backpack!

Last edited:
My feathered kids were treated to a bunch of worms and moths today. I'm working on clearing a new area close to the back of the house, to put up a decent sized open ground pen for for big girls to run in. In turning virgin ground I hit the jackpot with worms. After dividing them between all my babies, they watched me very closely to see if I was carrying my worm jar around. Curious Georgia on the left was very interested in what I was doing. Georgia again She busted me spending time with my older girls. And had to check it out My big chick checking me out up close
Great pics! I really like your brooder design! Cute little peeps too! :)

today I gave my girls onion rings. (just a few leftover from lunch) at first they were like ok more bread then Jellybean (one of my wyandottes) found the onion in side it, pulled it out and they all started chasing each other around their coop, and run. I think they thought it was a dead worm. ( but they do looooovvvveee raw onions.)

Great pics! I really like your brooder design! Cute little peeps too!
smile.png

Thank you so much. Here's a picture of the entire set up. They all start out in brooder boxes such as the one in the second "pen" and as they get their feathers they graduate to the areas like my pictures above. I need to run out and take some better pictures of it. I did my weekly cleaning today and changed the set up to be more friendly to them and myself.

My 12 wk bantams discovered they could fly out of their run today.
barnie.gif
After chasing them for about 20 minutes I managed to catch everybody and throw them back in. In celebration of this event everybody but the EE's got their right wing clipped. My first time clipping chicken wings and hubby was at work so they didn't make it easy on me. I didn't get pooped on though!
yesss.gif

On a side note my 3 9 wk EE's got to enjoy some much needed sunshine after all the rain we've been having.

Back
Top Bottom