What did your chickens do today?

Most of mine do the same thing. I wondered this, too! A couple roost on the edge of the poo-board and I lift them up to the regular roost branch 'cause otherwise they'll get pooped on! But they, too, face the wall. Weird phenomenon or is there a reason...anyone??!!!

I watched for awhile one time when several were faced outward, toward the coop, and when they get ready to hunch down and sleep, they turned around to face the wall!
I wondered if it wasn't some form of protective behavior...but facing the wall and having their backs to everthing else isnt very safe in my brain???

Mine have drstroyed or tried to destroy every flower bed in my yard.....needless to say we have now chicken proofed everything.

Let me set this up: so I'm moving one of my chooks' waterers to a shadier spot. I hand it to my mom out the kennel door so she can refill it, then grab the cinder block we put the waterer on. Lo and behold! Beetles! Naturally, I immediately say "Hey girls! Lookit!" and they start pecking inquisitively.

And then there's a flash of pastel yellow and I am crushing the bejeezus out of a three-inch scorpion. Stomp. Stomp. Vehement squishing.

I lift my foot and it's nowhere to be found, so I assume I just pulverized it to bits (yeah, me and my leg strength of a newborn mouse). The day is saved!

Except now Mimi has the (very much dead, but very much not-pulverized) scorpion in a death grip. -facepalm-

I grab her unceremoniously, hold her head outside the kennel door, and give her a good shake. "DROPPIT." Shake. Shake. Shaaaaaake. Not budging. My mom had to force her beak open and chuck the poor scorp corpse away.

So that's what my chickens did today. XD

Let me set this up: so I'm moving one of my chooks' waterers to a shadier spot. I hand it to my mom out the kennel door so she can refill it, then grab the cinder block we put the waterer on. Lo and behold! Beetles! Naturally, I immediately say "Hey girls! Lookit!" and they start pecking inquisitively.

And then there's a flash of pastel yellow and I am crushing the bejeezus out of a three-inch scorpion. Stomp. Stomp. Vehement squishing.

I lift my foot and it's nowhere to be found, so I assume I just pulverized it to bits (yeah, me and my leg strength of a newborn mouse). The day is saved!

Except now Mimi has the (very much dead, but very much not-pulverized) scorpion in a death grip. -facepalm-

I grab her unceremoniously, hold her head outside the kennel door, and give her a good shake. "DROPPIT." Shake. Shake. Shaaaaaake. Not budging. My mom had to force her beak open and chuck the poor scorp corpse away.

hide.gif
You, mom, and Mimi are so much braver than I am. I'm frozen any time I even think I see a scorpion. But, I'd probably have laughed my butt off watching you all.

Well, I should've mentioned that scorps here are only very slightly poisonous. I've been stung by three and I'm still kickin', but I don't know if a little chicken body could fight it off. Might have been what killed Ethel One, so I didn't want to take any chances. I'm just glad it was dead before Mimi got to it!

I wouldn't blame you! "DROP IT. -shake- DROP IT. -shake-"
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
I pictured this in my head as I was reading. Got a few funny looks from my co-workers when I busted out laughing.
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
I pictured this in my head as I was reading. Got a few funny looks from my co-workers when I busted out laughing.
lau.gif
Glad to be of service! -salutes-

Today was a lot more chill. It was unseasonably and gloriously cool--nice breeze and everything--so I hung out with the girls. Dragged my buttboard in, tucked my knees up, and let Sassy perch on my arm. We just sat there together for a while, facing into the wind. It was nice. Very Zen. :)

Glad to be of service! -salutes-

Today was a lot more chill. It was unseasonably and gloriously cool--nice breeze and everything--so I hung out with the girls. Dragged my buttboard in, tucked my knees up, and let Sassy perch on my arm. We just sat there together for a while, facing into the wind. It was nice. Very Zen. :)
Ummmmm..... What's a buttboard? Lol

Back
Top Bottom