What did your chickies eat this morning? :p

2Q's

a) chickens can't "taste" hot peppers (something about not having receptors for the capsasian I think?) but can they still benifit from the increased circulation that you get from hot peppers? CAjersychick made me think of that with the curry powder. Hope it works! can you post if you notice a difference or not?

b) Can chickens eat onions and garlic? I know it is not good for dogs and cats.

The flock had sratch and forage today.....same old, same old.

2Q's

a) chickens can't "taste" hot peppers (something about not having receptors for the capsasian I think?) but can they still benifit from the increased circulation that you get from hot peppers? CAjersychick made me think of that with the curry powder.
I know there are suet you can buy that are made with Red Paprika .. so I don't really see why not chicken (But I never tried it myself)

I usually give them Organic Layer Feed mixed with Diatomaceous Earth, Rock Dust, Kelp mixture with lot of oyster shell grits, but also give them various vegetable scrapes, left over rice, bread, those stuff out of the juicer (when I'm juicing
roll.png
.. not always) ... also they get to free range (unless I have major Hawk scare .. then I use a PVC chicken tractor to move them around).

Things I like to feed them - Small Fish from the farmer's market, raw shrimp, etc

*I also give them Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with their water (which I have continued since they were day old).

My babies had warm five grain oatmeal with some kale and steamed acorn squash, drizzled with a dash of real maple syrup. I also added a pinch of cayenne as I heard it warms them up and might get them laying (probably an old wives tale, like pregnant women eating spicy food if they want to go into labor, right?). The girls will be 22 weeks old on Saturday, all getting very red in the face. My zippy little EE - Zelda - has a bright red comb so I think she might be the first to lay. Hoping to find a little blue or green egg one of these days.....

My hens are almost 8 weeks and still on baby crumble but they seem bored with it. I throw some in their run since they love scratching. I have also given them tomatoes and squash--they love both. They also finished off one of their baby forage cakes-- it has become their favorite. Hmmm...maybe that's why they don't want their baby crumble, they love the other stuff more?? Is it too soon to offer them some lettuce or other type of greens?

My hens are almost 8 weeks and still on baby crumble but they seem bored with it. I throw some in their run since they love scratching. I have also given them tomatoes and squash--they love both. They also finished off one of their baby forage cakes-- it has become their favorite. Hmmm...maybe that's why they don't want their baby crumble, they love the other stuff more?? Is it too soon to offer them some lettuce or other type of greens?

I think they should start on the "Broiler Blend" among other goodies you are giving them (especially the forage cakes :)) .. I find my Layer even avoid Layer Blend when they get to forage for goodies on their own and when I supplement them with various veggies and other goodies.

It is chilly up here in Northern Wisconsin. I have been giving my brahmas a concoction I came up with: oatmeal, raisins, crushed egg shells and plain greek yogurt. All mixed together and served to them warm. THEY JUST LOVE IT. They have it all gone within 1/2 hour and between the three of them they are eating about 3/4 cup. Nothing like oatmeal in the morning to warm you up and stick to your ribs.

Mine get hot oatmeal too, (one serving, cooked steel cut) mixed with 1 serving size yogurt mixed in, 2 tbsp bran flakes and 1 tbsp ground flax seed. They eat it in less than 10 min. I have 5 LOL! This morning they also got a cob of corn and regular layer ration.

Back
Top Bottom