What do goats eat?

At 4 weeks old, it may still be on a bottle! My bottle babies were not weaned until 9 weeks, they started eating grain around 6 weeks.
I had mine in the barn and had a heat lamp for them to get under if they got cold. You also need to make sure it has or will be vaccinated for CD&T .

I would say a bobcat or fox could kill and eat a young goat.

Get a plastic tote to bring him home in.

Make sure you get Medicated Goat Feed.

rooster brandon. :

What do you feed goats my family found one on craigslist http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/2263663689.html and thats pretty cheap around here cheapest i have found is $45 dollars i know it is kinda late to ask but what do goats eat can i keep a 4 week old outside in a pen can they live with 3 ducks in a 35x45 pen! Cheapest goat we have found and its ours we just got to go get it tomorrow! ANY INFO APPREICIETED!!!!!!!!!!

So yes have him fixed he wont smell than. Ask if he's still on milk or not, than ask what they feed him.. He will need loose trace minerals alfalfa until he's a year old and some grain but not much.
He will need shots CDT and you will need to learn how to trim his feet also with time.
Dis budded means no horns so you dont have to worry about that,Id ask them if they have another one to go with him becasue they need to be togther. They are herd animals. Id be careful with the ducks food I know goats can die if they eat chicken food.. Make sure he has shelter and some nice straw to lay in... Clean water to drink.. I bet the place you are getting him at will be happy to help you with him. If not please PM me and I can send you info on them. We have raised dairy goats for over 11 years now and thats what he is...
In time he will also need to be wormed..

But you need to see if you can get one more, check with your extension office I bet a 4-H kid will have some.

Oh hes 4 weeks old he will need milk so get yourself a bottle for him and ask if they will supply the milk for you..​

Last edited:
A four week old goat should still get milk. They make special nipples you can put on a soda bottle. You might check at the library for a book on raising goats. You will get a good overview. A good website is Fiasco farms. I am kind of new at goats, so I am still learning.

Sorry to be a downer, but why are you investing in an animal you have no idea how to care for? Best to do your homework first so you know what you're getting into, not to rush out and buy an animal because it's "the cheapest you can find" and not be prepared for its upkeep. Please do this goat a favor and spend a little time planning to be a goat owner first.

I would say yes to the castration and dehorning, and be careful if you run them with poultry...I have seen goats founder when given the opportunity to have too much free-choice feed.

He really should be at least 8 weeks before he is castrated. He needs time to have this urethra to grow so he doesn't have issues later. Just ask to take him back in a month to have it done.

You really need to go to Backyard Herds for more advice. They have a list there of everything you will need for your new goat. You can search there and find answers quicker then here and more goaty people over there
smile.png

And yes, he will be far happier if you get him a friend. They are very social and can scream like crazy without another goat for company.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/index.php

You truly need to take a moment, stop and think. You don't know how to care for the animal except for information you got on a a forum. No real research. Have you talked personally to other people with goats? Gotten a book? Maybe gone to a feed store to chat with them (you can get other useful info...like whether your area is selenium rich or poor, and thus need to supplement)?

An animal that is "cheap" is not necessarily good. Why is the wether 45$ instead of higher, like most wethers are? Has he been tested for CAE, CL? What about vaccinations?

I think you need to do a lot more research (and a lot does not mean a day on google), actually prepare yourself to bring home a pair of kids, and then begin to look for some goats. When people leap into something unprepared, like getting an animal they don't have everything setup for, it is the animal, not the person, that suffers as a result.

You're getting good info here, but yes, need to say it again: You've been wanting one for a while, so you probably should have been researching and jotting down info during that time. I waited almost a year, made sure we had the money, made sure we would have the money for upkeep, made sure that we would be able to get things that were needed beforehand, feed, collars, buckets, wormers, hay, treats, even made sure we were able to get another goat and be able to keep that before we got our goats.
We messed up a few times along the way, had our spats about them, and that's another thing to take into consideration, not everyone will be on board (especially in our case with one income, but some still coming from my end), I mean my husband loves them too, and we are so far successful. Even had our first kidding, no experience, and absolutely no problems! But I got A LOT of info beforehand from research AND those with experience.
Good luck with your venture and have fun!
smile.png

Wow, good advice!

Even if you think you are ready and prepared, you may not be.

Read Read Read.

Ask lots of questions, after all it is not a goldfish.

It is amazing how much you can learn from owning a goat. They need lots of attention, and you really must provide them with what they need.

Back
Top Bottom