What do I breed with a white showgirl to get splash showgirls?

feather leg farms

Songster
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Salisbury, NC
I have a white showgirl hen thats laying and need a roo to go with her. I just have one prob. I don't know what to breed her with. I only have a Birchin Showgirl roo and a Partridge pet roo.

Generally, you wouldn't be able to create splash using a white bird.

You can get splash from breeding a blue to a blue, a blue to a splash, or by breeding two splash together.

You could get lucky with some recessive genes, but it would be a long shot.

Quote:
Yep, agreed. J.D., haven't seen you in awhile, friend!
frow.gif
Good to see you posting again!

Recessive white covers all colors. Your roo could be any color under that white. I would just breed him to your splash girl and see what he throws. He could be blue or splash, who knows? Since the hen is splash, it is guaranteed ALL of her babies will inherit at least one blue gene. If you get a good blue roo out of the cross, raise it up and cross back to the mother and you should get fifty fifty ratio of blue based and splash based. That does not take into account that he may carry buff or partridge or grey or lavender or other color genes. (Lavender HIGHLY unlikely, but hey, it could happen)

i came across this thread looking for info on my silkie babies.... i don't have even a bit of genetics knowledge so bear with me... i ordered white silkies/showgirl eggs from a breeder and they are hatching as we speak. so far i have two dark chicks and one yellow. is that because white covers up other colors? i don't mind either way, i was just surprised when they hatched. one looks to be a silvery color and the sg looks dark with a bit of coppery on the ends of her fluff.

Back
Top Bottom