What do I do with this cockerel?

Keylime

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
The guy at tractor supply said he could sex straight run Rd. Island reds with 95% accuracy. Ha! Now what do I do with this little guy? He’s currently 2.5 weeks old . We don’t want to get too attached.

Attachments

• 50B0CCC6-CB5E-4587-9DD8-69C79432F8F5.jpeg
    50B0CCC6-CB5E-4587-9DD8-69C79432F8F5.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 19
Feed/farm stores tend to be very welcoming in taking in cockerels. If that’s not an option they do crow at 6 months. So you’ll have plenty of time to sell him off or give him away for free. The possibilities of getting rid of cockerels are endless. Good luck!

You can take em back to the expert as Aart said, you can raise him for meat , or you can give him away ASAP.

My 2nd year w/ hens I ended up w/ one rooster out of 12 chicks, gave him away after he started crowing @14 wks gorgeous Black Copper.

My 3rd year I ended up with one beautiful barred rock roo that started crowing @18 wks and I had to butcher him and cook em ala Italian Stew.

My 4th year with chickens, we hatched some heritage eggs end up having 4 Roos out of 15 hatched. Gave away 1 while he was 2 days old and 2 stayed under the radar until 9 weeks old started crowing pathetically and found a home immediately since they’re both beautiful and rare. One stayed way under the radar until 22 wks old and I still have him 11 months later, though he attacked me 4x protecting his flock and he almost end up in the freezer camp until I gather my guts to do it sometime this next month.

Back
Top Bottom