What Do I Do With Wheat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barry Natchitoches, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I was given about 75 pounds of livestock quality wheat.

I also have about 100 pounds of oats already, and about 100 pounds of black oil sunflower seed.

How do I serve this to my chickens? Does it have to be ground first? Is this a "treat" ration (I KNOW that BOSS is considered a "treat", but what about wheat or oats?), or is this to be served as part of a regular ration mix?

If it should be served as part of a regular ration mix, what else should I mix in to create a balanced diet (keeping in mind that I WILL NOT give my chickens GMO corn or soybeans)?

Do these grains have to be ground, or can the birds eat them whole?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I throw them all out as scratch. Whole, not ground.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Lucky find............... if I were you I 'd mix it in with a few bags of layer feed and make a nice higher protien layer ration with the benny's of BOSS.

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah but if you do it like that won't the chickens just dig out the treats and cause a lot of food waste? [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sometimes I suppose, I feed my birds custom mixes all the time regularly and haven't found it to the case. So maybe if your birds are finicky mix up a small batch and check it out, if it doesn't work I think the scratch Idea Katy suggested is a good one. I guess I don't coddle my birds like most BYCer's they eat what I give them when I give it, so normaly there isn't an issue.

6. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Soaking whole wheat overnight in water swells the kernels and seems to make them "yummier" from the chicken's point of view. Softer, easier to digest and perhaps a little more nutritious because of changes in the grain as it gets ready to germinate. I drain mine though a mesh sieve and serve it as a scratch grain,

Best - exop

7. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    Can you brew some wheat beer first - then give 'em the spent grains??? [​IMG]

8. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I just throw it on the ground and they pick at it, keeps them entertained.

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just throw it on the ground and they go nuts over it. My dh is a crop farmer so he saved some out for me when he cut wheat this summer.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That's where I get mine too. We farm and I always save some back when we're harvesting. After corn harvest I go out and gather up ears that the combine missed...they love pecking the corn off the ears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by