what do i feed my pigs???

What don't pigs eat? I grew up with a mother who raised a few pigs and they would eat anything. Including you if you got too close. We had a horse die of old age and the pigs had it almost consumed before my mom and I got home from school. I'll stick to chickens!!! Even though I know they can eat there own....but a horse.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Well, I don't consider me from the "old days" Well maybe....ti some.
lol.png
I'm 33 and I remember this vividly.
hit.gif
My mom is very old fashioned and I thing that it didn't bother her at all. Isn't it different seeing the difference in generations.

Quote:
well, i found pig feed online at tsc for $13.50 for a 50 lb bag. i'll have to get the sku number and take it into the store. the people that work at this store pull the good old "if it's not on the shelf, we don't have it" routine. so i may have to have them order it. its 15% protein so it is what i need. i guess it wil cost alittle more to get the hogs to weight but i can live with that.

They 'll be better to eat though with the higher protein feed , you'd have really fatty pigs on 8 % protein. The pigs our family eats get 15-16 percent protein and the ones we raise to show for 4-h we finish out on 18-20 percent for more muscle .

we had a hampshire that we butchered last year. we bought her the year before and intented to keep her as a pet. she got too hard to manage even at 250lbs. we decided to just butcher her out. we fed her to sustain her not fatten her up for slaughter. the meat wasn't bad, but had almost no fat content. imagine frying up some bacon and not having ANY fat cooking off the meat, only water. we fed her the dry cobb, beet pulp, and table scraps. i think these piggies will be better tasting if they get the higher protein in larger amounts to fatten them up.

you are probably better off going to a feed store. i pay $8.50 for a 50 pound bag. that is 15% protein. tsc is good, but you can get the same stuff at a feed store for less money. i don't know about you but i like to save some money so i will drive an extra 10 minutes to get feed and save a little too! now of days every penny counts.

Quote:
There are some things I actually spend a little more on at the feed store but I prefer to give my business to them, they have been there for our family for 50+ years and have let our families charge things when money was tight. I just like to support local business.

I'm sure this isn't the healthiest but my father once raised 8 pigs almost entirely off of Burger King food. Since they have to throw away any burgers or fries that have sit around for more than 3 minutes or something, they always have a few garbage bags full of the stuff at the end of each day. My brother in law worked for the company at the time and was allowed to bring it all home each night. To this day I can't drive past a fast food place without the image of a group of pigs squealing in delight over a trough of whoppers, fries, and onion rings.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom