what do i feed my pigs???

monster1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
california(unfortunately)
i have some growing pigs(yorkshires) that i am growning out to butcher in the spring. i have been buying my feed at tractor supply. i have been buying dry cob feed that consists of barley, rolled corn, and whole oats. says that protien is a minimum of 8%. is this ok to feed them this? will they get enough nutrients with this feed? it costs $9.50 for a 50 pound bag so this is why i am using it. i also feed them table scrapes as well. would i be better off to feed them sweet cob with molasses and beet pulp too to get more nutrition? what about fresh grass clippings? just trying to figure out anything i can do to get my feed costs down. don't have alot of money right now.

thanks

We feed a 15% protein feed and supplement with corn, table scraps and we get some "feeder bread" from the Mrs. Bairds store here, they sell us a few racks for about $15. It probably isn't super nutrition packed but it adds bulk to their meals and I figure all that whole grain bread has to be alright for them.
Ours are all fat, healthy and happy.

i also feed mine a 15% non medicated feed. make sure you get non medicated if you plan on eating them some people are allergic to certain medication. i also feed the corn mixed in and table scraps. mine are about to get the butcher in a bout 2 months!!

Last edited:
I would really try to get some actual pig grain. They need a lot of the vitamins and nutrients that is in the pig grain. If you want to supplement the other stuff in to keep food costs down then I would do that as well. Grass clippings are ok to give them too. We do that a lot with our pigs.

Unless you are feeding out to hit a desired show weight or have a specific weight in mind, I think what you are doing is fine. To get a good handle on the right amounts so you know you are feeding the right amount of feed per pig, the local ag extension agent is a great resource. The local FFA will have good info too, just keep in mind that they are used to show pigs and are looking for 250lbs to 350 lbs.

When I was a kid, we had pigs and my folks used to feed shorts- it looked like really runny malt o meal. It was mixed with water and kept in a 50 gal drum. I really am not sure what it was, but the pigs loved it and grew big.

In the wild, pigs eat anything. Roots, grass, small animals- so any table scraps, grass, or unsellable veggies from gardens, and bread they will like.
smile.png

An all purpose 12% creep feed is not expensive and can be supplemented with scraps.

Good luck with the bacon!

The feed may be cheaper, but you might not have a good efficient ratio from feed consumption to weight gain. In order to build protein, you have to feed protein (it is the building block of muscle) Your pigs will be completly fine and healthy, but now days we are looking for efficient hogs converting feed into muscle. I am just used to that, i raise show pigs, and and pretty experienced in feeding and raising hogs. Your pigs are fine, and if thats the feed you can afford, the hogs dont mind.
smile.png

what everyone else has said.... an 8% all purpose ration will not promote growth. Pigs are especially sensitive to lysine as well. You need an actual pig feed.

My pigs eat a 16% protein feed, cracked corn and all organic produce and bread from a very well known high end grocery store and alot of kitchen slop and a few other families slop. We have fed these pigs with nearly no cost to ourselves whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom