What do I have? Help!

DIMBY

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Western Colorado
So many of you are so good at this, here's a pix of one of my babies, I special-ordered red sex links (aka golden comets). However, when they came to the feed store seems they were 'in' with dozens of other types (not separated), the guy there said he knew the difference (I have never had red sex links before), and picked them out, saying they were golden with the white tips. Now, I'm wondering, since I cannot find any info here or elsewhere on this. Here's a pix of one of them with a good display of the wing. Red sex links or....?

34265_chickwings.jpg

the red sex links aka golden comets at tsc looked nothing at all like your chick. they were a light yellow with two red chipmunk stripes down the bacl.

based on your posts, I took the chicks back and the owner of the feed store agreed - some of the ones I got Wednesday are NOT sex links. He's sorted them out - I hope. They all do have those white/black striped wings, and based on the link missi1197 sent, boy, sex links come in all colors, striped, solids, etc. The blame is with the hatchery, these were ordered 'special' and they were supposed to mark them, especially since I also paid extra for the Mercks vaccination, but now we have no idea about the vaccination, either. So, here are two "whole chick pix" one side, one from behind.

34265_b12010.jpg

Sorry Tiny, these are no way Barred Rocks, they are mostly black with white. These are some form of red breed. It is possible they will outgrow the stripes. I have New Hampshire Reds that have started out the same way with markings that will grow out in time. Usually, a Red Sex Link male will grow out into a white body except having red over the top as it matures. Here is one somebody found:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=323834
The girls should start out a little on the buff color then turn more of a red with age.
Good luck.

Thanks Minniechickmama, I hope you're right and that if they are not red sex links at least they are all hens, supposedly this feed store ordered and got ONLY hens, but we all know how that goes....I'll know in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom