What do I have to do when the babies hatch?

Bluebelle7

Chirping
Sep 21, 2023
I never wanted to do this, so I never paid much attention to the practicalities of having one of my hens hatch eggs. But as I could not get the pullets I wanted, and everybody was clucky, I bought dozen of eggs. It's spring here, and the day I drove to collect the eggs, was so hot I had to turn the air condition on. So, having to keep the babies warm was not something I even considered. On the contrary, I started to rig up old shade sails over the area where I intend to make a pen for them. But now it's freezing. I do have brooder ceramic lamp, but I would have to have the chicks inside to use it. That would mean separating them from their mother. Would that be bad idea? Today is day number 12, so bit of time to go, and I am still waiting for the candling torch to arrive; but I want to be prepared for anything by the time they arrive.
I will get the medicated starter, but should they also get Amprolium in their water?

Anything else I should think about?
Photo of the parents of the eggs (well, the porcelain half - I also got 6 millefleurs) :)
033a4195-0495-402d-91aa-aa0ab45d1a11.jpg

Mamma can keep them warm just fine. You likely don't need more amprollium in the water, remember not to give vitamins when feeding medicated started.
I agree with nuthatched on this. Even in bitter cold the mother hen will keep the babies warm. If you're still nervous about the cold, could you put the mother and babies in a separate area of the coop in their own cage and add a heat lamp nearby?

The hen is your brooder. She will keep them warm. My hens have taken tiny chicks outside when it’s cold and rainy and they did just fine. They go under her to warm up. They don’t really need constant warmth, the ambient temp when not under mama does them good.
Re medicated feed question. It’s either medicated feed OR amprolium in the water, not both.

I agree with nuthatched on this. Even in bitter cold the mother hen will keep the babies warm. If you're still nervous about the cold, could you put the mother and babies in a separate area of the coop in their own cage and add a heat lamp nearby?
That is the thing, I cannot safely put the heat lamp in the coop. That's OK, if we get really bad weather, I just set up my old puppy pen inside :) We just had few days of really cold and wet weather 59F, but today it will be 25degrees C (77F), so fingers crossed it will stay warmer now.

If the 9th Oct was day 12 (post 1), they will be in position to hatch now, and it's best not to interfere or move them until the hatch is finished. How's it been going?

OMG! It started. So far there is one yellow fluff ball and one egg looks like it's hatching, but I did not want to upset Saffron any more than I already had. It's nearly 7pm, so I will not go there again until tomorrow morning. Not that i am going to sleep. :)

Having puppies was so much easier. I always did big shopping week before the due date, and then never left the house until the pups were safely delivered. That way I new the moment the labor started, and sat with my girls, making sure everything is going fine. And they all liked it that way. I recall one of them some years ago, was just having rest between pups, and I thought I will quickly get myself cup of tea. As I started to get up, the mum grabbed my sleeve and pulled me back down, the expression on her face was clear "No! You are not leaving me now". Somehow, I do not think Saffron wants me peeping under her every 5 minutes. :)

Day later, 7 chicks so far. One of the eggs was definitely not fertile, and I took it out last week, so that leaves another 4, but another 2 I was not sure about. When do I give up on them? I have sniffed them and cannot smell anything bad. Maybe candle them after dark?

Attachments

• IMG_3903a.jpg
    IMG_3903a.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom