What do I need to get started??

Possibly, yes. If there is a bully in the flock, the one(s) being picked on will have a hard time escaping. Wider would be better than longer, but do what you can. Some folks with too-small runs compensate by letting their chickens free-range much of the day. But with that comes the risk of predatory losses.

Does your coop have at least 20 sq ft of floor space (5 birds x 4 sq ft each)?
Five linear feet of roosting space?
At least two nesting boxes?
Adequate ventilation?
Fortunately, we don't have many predators in Hawaii. Mongoose maybe. No snakes or predatory birds where I live. We do have nasty centipedes, but I've hear that the chickens love to eat them, so win-win. I think I should be able to let them free range a bit. I have a space on the side of the house with a tall wooden fence and gate. I will inspect the coop and run for all of this, when it arrives next week (and I will make necessary adjustments). Thank you!

Congratulations and welcome to BYC! These are great questions. Well, first you need a safe place to house your chickens, a coop. Plan to provide about 4 sq ft per chicken for them to be comfortable. Crowding causes behavior problems like bullying, pecking, feather picking. This is where they will sleep and lay their eggs, so it should have nests and roosts. The roosts should be higher than the nests, so the hens won't sleep in the nests and soil them. You'll need some kind of litter for the floor of the coop and some nesting material for the nests. You should also probably have a run, a fenced area for them to spend the majority of their days. They should have about 10 sq ft of space in the run. The run can have some kind of litter as well, like shredded bark for example. You may not need it unless the ground is bare. Fencing around the run should be sturdy enough to deter predators, so not chicken wire. Hardware cloth is advised. Do not allow gaps that snakes can get in. Cover the ground around the run as well in an "apron" of hardware cloth and cover it with rocks to deter digging. You may need to cover the run if predatory birds are a problem.

You will need feeders and commercial food such as pellets or crumbles, waterers and separate containers for oyster shell and crushed granite grit. The grit is for digestion. The oyster shell aids in making good sturdy egg shells.

Perhaps other residents of Hawaii may wish to modify this list. Mahalo!
Quick question. Feeders and waterers for inside the coop and in the run? So 2 of each for 5 hens? I'm sure the breeder can help me out too, but I want to be as prepared as possible in advance.

Quick question. Feeders and waterers for inside the coop and in the run? So 2 of each for 5 hens? I'm sure the breeder can help me out too, but I want to be as prepared as possible in advance.
Depends on the set up. I want my coop bone dry and my flock has never fought over water, so I have 1 waterer in the run. I have up to 5 feeders (1 dry feeder in coop, 4 fermented food bowls in run) for 10-11 birds, spread out to reduce fighting over food and dry and fermented separate because again, I want the coop dry (and my run is uncovered so dry feed can't sit out). For your flock most likely 1 waterer outside and 2 feeders either in & out or out should probably work.

Do you have a picture of your set up ? i.e., coop and run? it'll help us get an idea what you may need.
Not yet. I will post one as soon as I get it set up. I am attaching a picture of the coop I have ordered. Should arrive next week. Mine will not be in a location like this, but on the side of the house (about 6 feet wide) with a tall wooden fence between my yard and the neighbors.
Coop.JPG

Depends on the set up. I want my coop bone dry and my flock has never fought over water, so I have 1 waterer in the run. I have up to 5 feeders (1 dry feeder in coop, 4 fermented food bowls in run) for 10-11 birds, spread out to reduce fighting over food and dry and fermented separate because again, I want the coop dry (and my run is uncovered so dry feed can't sit out). For your flock most likely 1 waterer outside and 2 feeders either in & out or out should probably work.
Thank you

Not yet. I will post one as soon as I get it set up. I am attaching a picture of the coop I have ordered. Should arrive next week. Mine will not be in a location like this, but on the side of the house (about 6 feet wide) with a tall wooden fence between my yard and the neighbors. View attachment 3647108
I hope it's big enough for 5 hens!

Do you have a link to the coop or measurements for it? It's likely too small for 5. The run is way too small but you are already aware of that.
I think I should be able to let them free range a bit.
Free ranging would certainly help make up for the existing run space but "a bit" doesn't cut it, they still need access to at least the minimal amount of space during daylight hours every day, and then free ranging would be a bonus.

Do you have a link to the coop or measurements for it? It's likely too small for 5. The run is way too small but you are already aware of that.

Free ranging would certainly help make up for the existing run space but "a bit" doesn't cut it, they still need access to at least the minimal amount of space during daylight hours every day, and then free ranging would be a bonus.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/121-6-i...or-4-6-Chickens-OR-23173988/324004442#overlay
Would I be able to add another run onto the end of it perhaps? What if I just got 4 hens? I put down a deposit to hold them, but I imagine I could change the number as what I put down half of what the cost for 5 would be....

Back
Top Bottom