What do I need to get started??

I definitely want them to be happy and comfortable.
Now I'm feeling stupid for buying the coop so impulsively. I get excited sometimes and maybe carried away. I suppose I could also return it to the store here and try to find something else???

https://www.homedepot.com/p/121-6-i...or-4-6-Chickens-OR-23173988/324004442#overlay
Would I be able to add another run onto the end of it perhaps? What if I just got 4 hens? I put down a deposit to hold them, but I imagine I could change the number as what I put down half of what the cost for 5 would be....
Both the coop and run are too small. Do not ever assume manufacturer claims are realistic, always look at the actual measurements to confirm.

The coop is 22" x 25.2" - that's under 4 sq ft. That's enough room for 1 single standard size bird.

The run is 22" x 121.58" which is smaller than previously mentioned. It's 18.57 sq ft total which isn't enough for 2 standard birds. The width being under 2' is hugely problematic.

What you want for 5 birds is a minimum of: 20 sq ft of floor space in coop NOT INCLUDING nest boxes. 50 sq ft of run space at least 5-6 ft wide. In addition, 5 linear ft of roost as well as at least 5 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 (and up to 2-3x more depending on how hot and humid summer temps are).

Now I'm feeling stupid for buying the coop so impulsively. I get excited sometimes and maybe carried away. I suppose I could also return it to the store here and try to find something else???
It happens a lot on here. I would definitely return it. Best to post links to any other coops you may be considering, or to any coop plans you may consider, so we can help nitpick any issues.

If you are capable of doing any building at all (or have a handyman that can do some work) a hoop coop is a popular and economical choice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/economical-easy-run-build.1477838/#post-24624553 . In Hawaii from what I understand an actual enclosed coop is unnecessary and there's members here who go completely open air due to the tropical climate. I see a Hawaiian state thread here, might want to get feedback from others in your state: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-other-hawaiians-out-there.117644/

Not yet. I will post one as soon as I get it set up. I am attaching a picture of the coop I have ordered. Should arrive next week. Mine will not be in a location like this, but on the side of the house (about 6 feet wide) with a tall wooden fence between my yard and the neighbors. View attachment 3647108
It's cute, but ... after reading the dimensions that @RosemaryThyme listed, it would appear that the chickens in the picture must be bantams. Darn. 😒

It's cute, but ... after reading the dimensions that @RosemaryThyme listed, it would appear that the chickens in the picture must be bantams. Darn. 😒
Photoshopped for sure, which is typical. Put actual birds in the actual run for a photo and they'd more closely resemble sardines.

Both the coop and run are too small. Do not ever assume manufacturer claims are realistic, always look at the actual measurements to confirm.

The coop is 22" x 25.2" - that's under 4 sq ft. That's enough room for 1 single standard size bird.

The run is 22" x 121.58" which is smaller than previously mentioned. It's 18.57 sq ft total which isn't enough for 2 standard birds. The width being under 2' is hugely problematic.

What you want for 5 birds is a minimum of: 20 sq ft of floor space in coop NOT INCLUDING nest boxes. 50 sq ft of run space at least 5-6 ft wide. In addition, 5 linear ft of roost as well as at least 5 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 (and up to 2-3x more depending on how hot and humid summer temps are).

It happens a lot on here. I would definitely return it. Best to post links to any other coops you may be considering, or to any coop plans you may consider, so we can help nitpick any issues.

If you are capable of doing any building at all (or have a handyman that can do some work) a hoop coop is a popular and economical choice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/economical-easy-run-build.1477838/#post-24624553 . In Hawaii from what I understand an actual enclosed coop is unnecessary and there's members here who go completely open air due to the tropical climate. I see a Hawaiian state thread here, might want to get feedback from others in your state: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-other-hawaiians-out-there.117644/
Thank you for your help! Yes, I will find the Hawaii forum and post there. I am also a member of a Backyard Chickens Hawaii group on FB, and I will post there.

I agree that space, space, space is everything. We are in the UK and the only predator we really need to worry about is the fox, who doesn’t come to where our chickens are until it’s dark, so we do not need to keep an enclosed run (which, if I understand correctly, you don’t need in Hawaii either). We DO have one available due to avian flu rules which now come into place here over winter, but for most of the year instead of free-ranging we basically have a fenced orchard with a shed in it and the chickens roam around that. It works great for us!

The tiny coops which are often available aren’t healthy for the chickens in my opinion and they are also really awkward to clean and maintain properly. If you can get something with some more space for your new girls then I think you’ll all enjoy it a lot more. Good luck!

I agree that space, space, space is everything. We are in the UK and the only predator we really need to worry about is the fox, who doesn’t come to where our chickens are until it’s dark, so we do not need to keep an enclosed run (which, if I understand correctly, you don’t need in Hawaii either). We DO have one available due to avian flu rules which now come into place here over winter, but for most of the year instead of free-ranging we basically have a fenced orchard with a shed in it and the chickens roam around that. It works great for us!

The tiny coops which are often available aren’t healthy for the chickens in my opinion and they are also really awkward to clean and maintain properly. If you can get something with some more space for your new girls then I think you’ll all enjoy it a lot more. Good luck!
I think I can free range and just get a coop for sleeping. I'm attaching pics of the space I have for them it's already enclosed the side of the house and a 7 ft fence. Thoughts?

I think I can free range and just get a coop for sleeping. I'm attaching pics of the space I have for them it's already enclosed the side of the house and a 7 ft fence. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230928_164911.jpg
    20230928_164911.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230928_164900.jpg
    20230928_164900.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230928_164851.jpg
    20230928_164851.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230928_164827.jpg
    20230928_164827.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230928_164820.jpg
    20230928_164820.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 5
Since your climate is warm/tropical year-round, and you have an enclosed space for them to wander, why get a coop at all? All they need is protection from wind and rain, roosts to sleep on, and somewhere safe to lay their eggs. Have you considered making a hoop coop with no door? It's easy-peasy to put together with PVC pipe or livestock panels, and a heavy-duty tarp. Might need cement blocks or a 2x4 wood frame for the base. The only tools you'd need I think are a hammer and nails (or drill and screws), PVC glue, hand saw, baling wire, wire-cutters, and pliers. And it would be MUCH cheaper than buying a coop.

My thoughts on the space in your photos: I see it is enclosed on both ends as well. Perfect! You see, it occurs to me that you DO have predators in the four-legged canine variety. Neighborhood dogs can and will kill your whole flock just for the fun of it, if they can get in.

Otherwise, I see a long cement sidewalk that you'll find aggravating to keep clean (cecal poop is brown super-glue). Get several coats of a good epoxy sealer on that cement, or just plan to abandon it to the chickens. You might consider putting some sort of wire/panel/wood/lattice enclosure around those outdoor appliances (A/C's?) to keep the chickens from pooping all over them, too. As for the dirt area, well, you won't have to worry about weeding it nor spending effort trying to get flowers or vegetables to grow. The chickens will keep it churned up and weed-free for you --- and they'll kick dirt all over the cement, too. (I think if it were my space, I'd enclose the A/C's, but otherwise just fill the whole area with thick mulch and let the chickens have it.)

Back
Top Bottom