What do they say in your neck of the woods?

cackle

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
North Carolina
I have living in the south since I the age of 8 and I am now 53 so I have been here a long time.

The other day I was having lunch at a friends house and there were 2 rolls left. I commented they could have them for dinner and I was told we had just finished dinner. I have never been able to say Breakfast, dinner and supper. When I mentioned this to my husband he said he called the evening meal supper until he married me.

The first time I was called on this was when my father retired and we moved back south and living in Murfreesboro, TN. My parents were from TX and La.

So where do you live and what do you call the midday and evening meal?

What about other regional sayings? I never heard anyone use the phrase "It got gone" until I moved to North Carolina. As in.... There was some cake on the table but it got gone....

This is not to make fun of any region I just think it is interesting how things are said in the different areas of the country.

Last edited:
Seems like in Indiana we say lunch and dinner. My favorite saying from my 99 year old granny was "it must have gone up the skimmer handle" when she had lost something.

I lived in Tennessee for 8 years--love the south!

Last edited:
Susan you know its breakfast,dinner and supper in the bible the Lord had the last supper not dinner.
smile.png

Breakfast, lunch and dinner to me...but then I have lived all over. I am pretty sure my hubby tells me the older gentlemen he talks to say breakfast, dinner and supper.

They use some weird terms here also, read up (clean up), change around (change clothes), you'inz (that one makes me giggle when I hear it) "You'inz going to the store?"

And they have Subways here, but people still call them Hoagies. How do you get a Hoagie from 'Sub'way? lol I call them subs.

Oh and can't forget the 'bedclothes' here. I busted out laughing the first time I heard sheets and blankets called bedclothes. Hubby still slips up and says it, I laugh and he tells me to hush lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I know you are the one who started me thinking about who says what where.

You are right about The Last Supper. But when was the last time you had dinner meat? Or sat down in a restaurant to a supper menu? But then they always rang the dinner bell to call the field hands in to the noon meal.

Susan

We call it breakfast, lunch, and dinner or sometimes supper.
My great aunt lived in canada and when she would come down for a visit she would say stuff like "so you have got a job aye? Or hows the weather aye lol. Here in minnesota we say things like... We are going out for supper doncha know, or ufda is another. I have some friends that live in indiana and they came down for a visit a few years ago and were cracking up about the way we sound. If you have never seen the movie fargo go rent it, thats what most of us minnesotans sound like maybe not quite so strong but similar

Edited to add.... Yah sure you betcha

Last edited:
im a yankee in texas,,, man i mess people up down here,,,,, we have breakfast , lunch,, and suppah ,,, hehe,, and i put my cloths in a bureau not a dresser,,,, a dresser is someone "crossing the lines" or someone that gets you dressed! lol
lol.png

I've never heard of lunch being called dinner. I've been living in VA pretty much the south for 6 years. First I've ever heard of it. You really do learn something new every day. I have called dinner supper though.

Back
Top Bottom