What do we have here?

There is no such thing as a red and white sex link rooster red sex link roosters are white and there are two different kind of sex links you have golden and red and if there red sex links even if their second generation they will be red and white and you can't judge them just by their combs red sex links mature fast so the hens get pretty good sized combs at that age and the tail feathers would be a bit longer If a rooster

Yes sorry that was a contradiction when i said red sex-link with one pullet one roo. They are different colours hence the sex-link factor. Unless they are both hens (which i don't think so) they aren't sex links. Possibly Rhode island Red or something else

Sex-links lose their sexing quality unless they are specifically a first-generation bird. Second generation birds cannot be sexed by color. The genetics don't work past the first generation because the male now carries both silver and gold genes, which is why males are white with red markings. Both parents have to have unique color genes.

Auto-sexing birds keep their sexing quality across generations. Their sexing is not dependent on each parent having unique genetics, but on genders expressing the genes differently. Both parents have the same color genetics.

Sex links like red stars, black stars, etc., are not sexable by color after the first generation. They are not auto-sexing, they are sex-linked. Wattles and combs absolutely show gender with subsequent generations, not color. Color is useless. It's two very different ways of getting chicks that can be sexed at birth.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a red and white sex link rooster red sex link roosters are white and there are two different kind of sex links you have golden and red and if there red sex links even if their second generation they will be red and white and you can't judge them just by their combs red sex links mature fast so the hens get pretty good sized combs at that age and the tail feathers would be a bit longer If a rooster
Regardless of breeding, a 6 week old female chick would not have a red comb. At best, it would still be several months from being mature enough to lay, and pullets don't start to turn red until they are close to laying. This is simple, biological fact.
It has already been established that the birds in question are not 'first' generation sexlinks of any variety.
And gold sexlinks are just a variation of red sexlinks. Both utilize the 'silver' base color. The other type of color sexlink is 'black' sexlinks; which is based off the barring gene.

This post is very exasperating to read! People are chipping in with information which is incorrect and totally confusing the post.

The birds in question where sold to the OP as Chantecleurs which they clearly are not.
Yes they look like red sex links but at 6 weeks old, one has far too much red in it's comb to be a pullet and is without doubt a cockerel..... the other one is also suspect in my opinion. Since at least one is male but they look like sex links, the only obvious conclusion is that they cross breeds made from sex links ... or as others have said, second generation sex links (which I think is a slightly confusing term since there is no sex linkage past the first generation.)

As far as I am concerned, summerb123 and junebuggena are absolutely correct in their assessment and must be finding it extremely frustrating that other people keep coming onto this thread, even on page 7 and continuing to say they are sex links and therefore must be pullets.
he.gif
without either reading the previous posts or understanding the nature of "second generation sex links".

I find it is always best to take advice from people who are knowledgeable on the subject and I have a great deal of respect for the opinion of junebuggena, whose expertise comes across clearly in all of her posts, although that is not to discredit in any way summerb123 whose posts I am less familiar with prior to this thread..

Looking at your group shot I wonder if someone deliberately off loaded their suspect male chicks onto you.... were they all bought from the same person? Not saying they are all male but if they are all 6 weeks then quite a few are looking too red in their head gear to be female..

Back
Top Bottom