What do y'all do with older hens?

Wow I really like your plan. This is what I want to do too but I get attached to some and don’t follow through. Plus I have the absolute worst egg selling skills. I end up giving the eggs away for free.
Going to see if I can try selling some eggs for once. do you get attached to any of your hens and keep them longer?
My older hens are processed. At least most of them are. I do get attached on occasion, and will let some stay. With every new batch of chicks I remind myself that eventually we will be processing them, and don't let myself get attached. It's easier that way for me.

Mine are first pets, then for eggs, so they will be staying. They are not really old yet, 3yrs old, and still laying, so not really a problem. I just added 3 new pullets to extend the egg laying years, and I probably will replace only as needed from natural attrition. Those that keep well cared for chickens as food, have my deepest respect, it is much more honest than keeping pets, and then buying meat that was not well cared for, IMO. I try to get pasture raised meat when ever possible.

Rammy I totally understand that chickens can feed a family and I didn't mean to upset you and don't think it's evil to eat them. I agree that they've had a much better life than those poor creatures confined in tiny cages. I understand that this practice is going to be phased out according to your president which can only be good all round. I just find it a surprise after reading about all the love and care given to our chickens in the BYC family. I'm totally in awe of the knowledge of some folk and have learnt so much since I joined. It's become my addictive bedtime reading!

I plan on keeping all my laying chickens until they pass away. They have done so much for our family by providing food and I feel like the least we can do is let them live their full lives with us happily.

I'm actually thinking about taking in older farm animals no one wants and just letting them live their life the way they should. I feel bad when an animal does so much for someone whether it be food or a companion then the person gets tired of them and tosses them like trash. Too many animals in this world that live in shelters, if I could I'd save them.

I know many who use their older hens as food and I don't see anything wrong with it. I have laying birds and meat birds, the laying birds will stay with us forever. The meat birds only stay with us for a little while, but fees our entire family including our furry family.

Back
Top Bottom