What do y'all do with older hens?

Pics
I know all you chicken addicts want to get new chickens every year. This becomes a problem later on because you will still have some of your older hens that have stopped laying.

I want to know what y'all do in this case. Do you process older hens? what do you do if you get attached?

I travel to Kansas City often! Was just there this weekend. [Although, i had to take a rental car this time since my truck is in bad shape]
Used to live in Pittsburg, KS. LOVE LOVE LOVE Pitt.
I'll have to see if I'm going up there anytime soon, I can bring two tame girls for you.

I travel to Kansas City often! Was just there this weekend. [Although, i had to take a rental car this time since my truck is in bad shape]
Used to live in Pittsburg, KS. LOVE LOVE LOVE Pitt.
I'll have to see if I'm going up there anytime soon, I can bring two tame girls for you.

Thank you,
Joe
What kind of chickens are you bringing because I am looking for friendly chickens to be my pets. Some breeds are not as friendly as others. It may sound crazy but being permanently disabled and stuck at home everyday by myself while my wife now works is very hard on me since I was a people person. Since I could make comments as I walked thru the office I was the most famous person in the office where ever I worked because everybody got a laugh out of my remarks. I was called the second Bob Hope with no writers. My father was the same way and that is why I think he survived 53 years (1913-1967) on call 24/7 at a local hospital also being his able to speak 12 languages kept him running to the hospital at all hours of the day and night. I was strictly instructed by him to "never say anything mean, vindictive or hateful " or I would have to answer to him.
A long time ago I use to make trips to Pittsburg College since I was on their advisor panel for what is happening as far as drafting and related work. I was chosen since I was the head of the drafting department for the Pittsburg & Midway Coal Mining Co. in Kansas City, MO. I worked with Frank Foresman the brother of the very charming and sweet Mrs. Helen Foresman Spencer whose husband, Kenneth A. Spencer established the company in Pittsburg, KS a long time ago.

Thank you,
Joe
What kind of chickens are you bringing because I am looking for friendly chickens to be my pets. Some breeds are not as friendly as others. It may sound crazy but being permanently disabled and stuck at home everyday by myself while my wife now works is very hard on me since I was a people person. Since I could make comments as I walked thru the office I was the most famous person in the office where ever I worked because everybody got a laugh out of my remarks. I was called the second Bob Hope with no writers. My father was the same way and that is why I think he survived 53 years (1913-1967) on call 24/7 at a local hospital also being his able to speak 12 languages kept him running to the hospital at all hours of the day and night. I was strictly instructed by him to "never say anything mean, vindictive or hateful " or I would have to answer to him.
A long time ago I use to make trips to Pittsburg College since I was on their advisor panel for what is happening as far as drafting and related work. I was chosen since I was the head of the drafting department for the Pittsburg & Midway Coal Mining Co. in Kansas City, MO. I worked with Frank Foresman the brother of the very charming and sweet Mrs. Helen Foresman Spencer whose husband, Kenneth A. Spencer established the company in Pittsburg, KS a long time ago.
Now I need the girls more then ever because my wife found out today she has breast cancer so I will need a couple friendly chickens to brighten our lives.

My three year old hen, Nugget, is still laying but we plan on letting her live out her days with us once she stops. When we added some younger chickens to the flock she took them under her wing (metaphorically) and we expect she'll keep doing so with future generations.

Hi, all my girls are allowed to live out their natural lives on my farm. I have 5 hens who are 10 years old. Contrary to popular belief they still lay eggs. Its not as often but I can usually count on about 2-3 eggs from each of them a week. That's not bad for an old bird.

I have found that my older girls make great pets. They are lovable and make great mothers. They even teach the new comers that I order how to be chickens. When they no longer lay they are still very valuable but in a different way.

They don't lay as often or even as much as they used to, but at the ripe old age of 10 I am still getting good quality eggs from them. I plan to allow them to live their twilight years on my farm as long as they still have the desire to live. If they start to fail due to their age I will cull to keep them from suffering. But for now they have a zest for life and are enjoying their setting sun years on my farm dust bathing, catching bugs and sunbathing.

Most chickens do not make it to 10 years. They are a rare bunch of special ladies. Their rooster has long since passed away, they have outlives many of their flock mates. So they have a new rooster that takes really good care of them. They are a delightful bunch of girls to have and care for.

The original Buff Orphingtons, my fabulous 5 are apart of this group. The others have long since passes, but my fabulous 5 still carry on in their absence.
IMG_1084.jpg

The older girls meeting the new ladies no the block.
evening with the flock 1.jpg

The fabulous 5!! Minus the photo bomb of Athena the White Crested Polish. :gig Enigma the Motted Cochin is their caretaking rooster.
evening with the flock 5.jpg

I'm only on my 2nd round of hens, but my plan is to keep them for their entire lifespan. But then again, my motivation for having chickens is to have them as pets - the eggs are just nice benefits, most of which I give away. The oldest of my first round lived until 7 years old, until they were taken out by coyotes. They laid eggs until the end.

in my profile photo there are my older hens, Arancina, Giada, Marina (italian names :lol:)
they're 6 years old. they layed eggs for all the summer this year! special girls :love
now, they're molting, but I absolutely take them forever with me even if they stop laying eggs :love

Back
Top Bottom