1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do yo feed your chickens to snack on

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenchaser99, Dec 6, 2009.

1. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    hi i was curious what you feed your chickens we give ours leftovers we fed ours nacho dip today and curiouse what your chicks eat [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They love darn near everything.

Cherios, oatmeal (hubby bought 1 minute oats instead of old fashioned) [​IMG] but the chickens like it, mashed potatoes, they go bonkers for bread scraps (we don't eat the ends) and pasta, carrot tops, beet tops, parsley, macaroni and cheese (that the kids don't finish), fruit, clover.

Basically anything left over other than banana peels, raw potatoes and citrus gets split between the dog and the chickens.

3. suburbanchx

suburbanchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    I know my 1 1/2 month old chix like to snack on green beans, noodles, and BREAD!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    my husband and bought one of those popcorn machines like the once in the theaters (smaller version) and they get popped popcorn everyday. they just love it.

5. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    When my hens are running around the yard and I need to get them back into the run so I can go pick the kids up from school, I bribe them with a heel of bread.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Mine each get a handful of birdseed every day. Also, I still have lots of mustard, kale, and collards that I pick leaves from and tear them into small pieces for them.

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    On really cold mornings I make a big bowl of hot oatmeal for my girls - I usually throw in leftover broccoli, leftover fruit, a handful of this and that ... they just love it, and we crack up watching them deal with oatmeal everywhere on their faces...

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, just don't stand too close. I learned that this morning. Oatmeal really does fly!

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    They haven't refused anything i've given them yet - except maybe the whole potato my husband threw in. I baked one for them, and that was fine. They've eaten dry oatmeal, cucumbers, strawberry tops, pear peel, baked potato, shredded cheese, cornbread, beans (cooked), split peas (cooked), biscuits.....i'm saving some ham bits for them for tomorrow. That will be the first time i offer them any kind of meat, except what was cooked with the beans and split peas.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Grapes, yogurt, left over mac and cheese, cheese ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by