What do you all do for your birds when you travel?

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
Just wanted to hear what everybody does when they leave for extended periods.

For me, if it's just a few days, I don't do much besides make sure they have fresh water and enough food. But if it's anywhere more than 3 days, I set up large gravity feeders and drinkers, I think they are several gallons each, one for food and one for water. I bungee them down so the birds cannot knock them over. I also will scatter pine shavings in the nest boxes just so their droppings have something to sort of absorb into in case they are wet, just some added comfort.

If I'm gone for longer than a few days, I always ask my next door neighbor to simply open the loft door every evening and just make sure they haven't spoiled or knocked over their water.

Any other good practices?

And besides where in the world could I go that would be better then right here where I am?
Ok maybe a one day trip to Florida to see your set up or some of the others here but I would still miss home.
I would have a hard time relaxing else where with my tiny Nigerians in someone's care.
IMG_20170519_180859.jpg :love

I never go anywhere because of our animals.
Too many to put that burden on anyone else.
Either my wife or I could go somewhere without the other if we wanted to but what would be the fun in that?
:goodpost::thumbsup
We knew what we were getting into when we started our farm. When the kids were young we were never home- camping-fishing-pulling the camper and boat all over the state of Florida.
When the kids moved on, the critters filled the void and emptiness. First just a few birds until the beast of burden it is to find someone whom would be able to handle it properly.
So needless to say, our gallivanting days are over because of being a hands on farm owner.
But I wouldn't change a thing if we has to do it again.
Just wanted to hear what everybody does when they leave for extended periods.

For me, if it's just a few days, I don't do much besides make sure they have fresh water and enough food. But if it's anywhere more than 3 days, I set up large gravity feeders and drinkers, I think they are several gallons each, one for food and one for water. I bungee them down so the birds cannot knock them over. I also will scatter pine shavings in the nest boxes just so their droppings have something to sort of absorb into in case they are wet, just some added comfort.

If I'm gone for longer than a few days, I always ask my next door neighbor to simply open the loft door every evening and just make sure they haven't spoiled or knocked over their water.

Any other good practices?
There are several advertisements for pet sitters/animal care takers in our area. I'm sure they must be abroad as well. Trust worthy, I can't answer that.
I hope you find a solution.:)

I'm quite lucky that we have a reliable friend who is happy to come round and sort the animals. I have 20 or so chickens, rabbits, Guinea pigs, quail and of course pigeons now! I think the furry things and pigeons are probably easier to look after. The chickens are the most time consuming and take a couple of visits a day for egg collecting etc. The pigeons should in theory be pretty easy to do. So long as they all return they can be let out, whilst there out food and water can be done. Or if you've large enough drinkers and feeders they should be good for a couple of days so long as they don't knock them over or poo in them! If your lofts big enough and secure they should be fine.

:goodpost::thumbsup
We knew what we were getting into when we started our farm. When the kids were young we were never home- camping-fishing-pulling the camper and boat all over the state of Florida.
When the kids moved on, the critters filled the void and emptiness. First just a few birds until the beast of burden it is to find someone whom would be able to handle it properly.
So needless to say, our gallivanting days are over because of being a hands on farm owner.
But I wouldn't change a thing if we has to do it again.

There are several advertisements for pet sitters/animal care takers in our area. I'm sure they must be abroad as well. Trust worthy, I can't answer that.
I hope you find a solution.:)
And besides where in the world could I go that would be better then right here where I am?
Ok maybe a one day trip to Florida to see your set up or some of the others here but I would still miss home.

When we were younger my mom said we either get animals or go on vacations--we chose animals. As I grew up and had my own child, we took a couple small vacations. We did lots of day stuff. As he got older I got more animals. Now he is married and I have a house and yard full. No vacations for me. It's way to much for someone else to handle. There are several dogs, several cats, several fish, several rabbits, several chickens and a few ducks. They take up all that free time, if not I would be bored out of my mind.

My family doesn't really go on vacation, but if the five of us left at the house (myself, two sisters, and parents), all did go somewhere for a few days...well, my neighbor right up the road said she'd be happy to take care of our pets because we've taken care of her poultry. :)

I always feel like things are getting out of control when I feel inclined to get more animals, as if they will end up controlling my life. After reading these responses, I know to avoid that at least until I retire! LOL

As many of you said, it's not a bad problem to have though!

Back
Top Bottom