what do you all think of this ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Jan 18, 2011.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Since we are getting snow every week here, that gives me more time to search.

I've got a great price on this and thinking of getting two built it as one. The windows just has an opening, have to buy them 3 windows that fits their size but other than that, what do you all think of this as a chicken/duck coop ?

http://media.ruralking.com/image.php?sku=116070018&nsize=1000

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i love it... thats so cute! [​IMG]

3. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    If you're getting a great price on it, go for it!

I like the green roof.

4. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Like so many people out there, I want to provide my chickens and ducks the best housing and protection. Our backyard is some what weird ! With wind and sun direction, it seemed that there isn't a perfect location for them all year long. So I wanted to make them winter and summer coop/run but hubby didn't agree with me. He just says 'buy something, put it, don't touch it again". But I can't ! The location on our side house is perfect for winter, block the wind and sees sun all day long but it won't work for summer though ! Another location for them would be back at the corner (my BYC page has pic's), but it's partly sunny there, too far, and their back is facing the mini forest. We got foxes,vultures, hawks,owls, possums and snakes. So, after seeing this playhouse, I figured it can be on wheels and if I get 2, I can fit all my ducks and chickens until see what location works best for them and start working on their permanet home.
    I have a budget of $2,000 for coop and run. If I buy 10x10 or 8x12, there goes my 2G. If I buy 5x8 quaker portable, 2g's will be out the window and it's too small for my flock. If I stay with my current 7x7 shed, I could get portable fence for $2,000 but then I can't move 7x7 shed ! So every where I look, I end up being on a deadend.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I read your BYC page. what about keeping the chickens where they are? The trick for draining the low spot would be to trench the center of the low spot, and place perf pipe in the trench and then some 1" rock followed by a layer of sand. If you can tie into the footing drains around your house then the area should stay much dryer.

The next time is make sure that you have easy access to power and water. So that would eliminate that areas without the access. The next is the chickens will do fine in a partially shaded area. I just let mine out for some foraging every few days. At one point last year, it had been so grey here for so long that I slipped the hens a extra does of vitamin D.

6. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:The partly shade area can have access to electricity (extentions) but water, I have to carry out, no problem. But that area scares me to tell you the least. We found a 3' snake their last year. It's not posioness but still, snakes [​IMG]. I did think about their current area and considered it and I wanted their run to be bigger but the trees are in the way. I have to think some more [​IMG]

Vitamin D [​IMG] I let them out when it's warmer to free range but it's too cold for me to be out there for long period of time, so I sit with them for awhile then go back inside the house but then my face is clued to the window watching them.

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

It's really nice,.. if you get it please post pics,. [​IMG]

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I will definately post pic's. I'm about to order 3 of them, I don't want to miss it. One is for my son's playhouse and I can use 2 of them for coops. It's 198.00 each
    3 would be $596.79/delivery $205.30//total would be $831.79

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What's wrong with your winter location for summer? Sun that far north is no big deal. You could put up a simple awning type arrangement for some shade and you're done. Heck mine go in the coop when the sun is high for the shade. I agree with your husband, one location is best. Moving them twice a year is going to be VERY hard on them, I would never try it, way too much stress on an animal with a pea sized brain who is so resistant to change. I'd be prepared for pecking and worse if you go this route.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Have you been able to see one of these playhouses in person, so you can judge the materials? Be careful that you aren't spending $198 for something that isn't going to last a year outdoors in the elements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by