What do you all think?

EmtheFishLady

We're all mad here
11 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Glen, MS
So I lost a client today. I normally don't beat myself up over that, but this one kinda bothered me a bit. The client called me to complain about a perfectly NORMAL incident with one of his crabs. The crab was spawning. For some reason, the client was upset about this and didn't want "Crab sex" in his aquarium. (It's in a doctors office) I explained to him that while I understood, it wasn't like I could control each and every invertebrate inside his aquarium, and I certainly do not check to see if they are carrying eggs. Client says "Why not? You don't pay enough attention to us. You're getting too big for your britches" This really angered me and I proceeded to tell him exactly where his aquarium would snugly fit.
wink.png

But now, I'm starting to question myself. I have A LOT of clients. Each client meets me individually, has my personal cell number, and can reach me 24/7. BUT I DO NOT maintain each aquarium. I check on each system once a month and track the results of the water tests each week, but my employees generally handle the aquarium maintenance. I often don't see some of my clients for two or three months at a time because when I check on their aquarium I don't arrange it with them, I just stop in, check things out and go on to the next.

Now, here's the question, am I getting too big? Am I not giving my clients the one on one attention they each deserve? I have 3 employees, I speak to each of them at the end of their shifts and ask about any issues they thought might be important, but there's just no way I can visit each aquarium myself every single week. I give clients the option of having me come out instead of my employees, but I charge 50.00 more a month. I maintain aquariums myself for free to certain needy clients, we do have clients who's doctor recommend aquariums to calm them, Alzheimer's patients, patients with brain damage, etc. I don't charge those people, and I like to keep myself free to do those aquariums myself. I enjoy sitting and visiting with them, explaining anything they have questions about, and just in general visiting. I keep my phone on me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I am ALWAYS available for ANY client to call and voice their concerns, but is that enough?

I know this is a long ramble, so try to make as much sense of it as you can.
hmm.png

What was the crab doing, releasing her eggs? Crab sex... lol... it's a doctor's office. It sounds like you are doing a good job of maintaining the aquarium if the crab was healthy enough to spawn. What would the doctor have done if the crab shed it's skeleton? Then it's naked, you can't have that in a doctor's office either...

By the way, you keep emus and salt water aquariums? You are certainly talented!

Last edited:
Quote:
It was releasing it's eggs yes. Which, btw is EXCELLENT fish food. Fish LOVE IT. He didn't want to hear that. Personally, this guy has always been a pain in my butt, and I wasn't sad to see him go, I just don't ever want to get so big that I don't know each client personally and know what they are talking about when they call. I have had crabs shed their exoskeletons in an aquarium and had clients call me and say it was the coolest thing they've ever seen. Normally when a crab spawns clients think it's awesome to watch. I don't feel bad I lost this guy, I DO feel bad that he thought I wasn't giving him enough attention though.

Quote:
I work A LOT. I'm working pretty much ALL the time. But, *I* enjoy what I do, so it doesn't feel like to work to me. I know he was just being a pain in the A@$, but I don't want to overlook his complaint if it was valid. I guess my question was more whether he was expecting too much...?

Quote:
I work A LOT. I'm working pretty much ALL the time. But, *I* enjoy what I do, so it doesn't feel like to work to me. I know he was just being a pain in the A@$, but I don't want to overlook his complaint if it was valid. I guess my question was more whether he was expecting too much...?

He was expecting too much. That is like getting mad at a person who sold you hens, put them with a rooster, and blamed you for the chicks. Irrational. I wanna see a baby crab.

Quote:
It was releasing it's eggs yes. Which, btw is EXCELLENT fish food. Fish LOVE IT. He didn't want to hear that. Personally, this guy has always been a pain in my butt, and I wasn't sad to see him go, I just don't ever want to get so big that I don't know each client personally and know what they are talking about when they call. I have had crabs shed their exoskeletons in an aquarium and had clients call me and say it was the coolest thing they've ever seen. Normally when a crab spawns clients think it's awesome to watch. I don't feel bad I lost this guy, I DO feel bad that he thought I wasn't giving him enough attention though.

Somebody said (I don't remember who) "You can't please all the people, all the time". If you work with the public long enough, you will come across someone who you can't make happy, no matter what you do! It sounds to me like you have a good handle on your business and your business relations. I think it is totally cool that you donate your time to clients that can't afford special considerations. Dont let one butthead make you doubt what you're doing. You will know from other customers if you get 'too big for your britches'. Or, if it made you feel better, perhaps you could include a survey for your customers' in their monthly bill, asking if they are satisfied with your services, or if there was other services they would like to see, etc...something like that. However...it sounds to me like you go above and beyond by being 'on call' 24/7, and you do give them the option of your personal service. If you have lots of clients, then you are doing something right! I'm just saying...
smile.png

Unless your employee hung a disco ball in the tank and played "wocka-wocka" music for the crab, the *doctor's* the one who's getting too big for his britches-- "You! Fish Lady! Bend the laws of nature for my delicate sensibilities!"

I think you're in the clear.
smile.png

Quote:

He was expecting too much. That is like getting mad at a person who sold you hens, put them with a rooster, and blamed you for the chicks. Irrational. I wanna see a baby crab.

Well, I know the complaint about the crab was idiotic. He knows I think it's idiotic, because I told him it was. But, I think he was just venting his frustrations that *I* wasn't giving him enough one on one attention. THAT bothers me. I have built my entire business on word of mouth, and happy clients and beautiful aquariums. I can almost guarantee you there aren't any baby crabs left in that aquarium. If there are, I doubt he's gonna see them for a LONG time. Should have charged him per crab she spawned. I just put that crab in last week.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom