What do you all use to deworm your chickens? & What parasite treatment do you all use?

seramaman99

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2018
What do you all use to deworm your chickens? Is there a universal dewormer out there?
& What parasite treatment do you all use to prevent parasites from invading chickens?

I don't use a dewormer unless there are actually intestinal parasites, either seen, or in fecals done. Then, it's a question of 'is this actually a problem, or such a low parasite load that the birds don't care?'. There's only water soluble fenbendazole available for laying hens; other products are off- label and must be used carefully if at all.
Mites and lice and fleas are best treated with permethrin, and the spray is easy to use and very effective.
I've had more episodes with mites than with anything else, from the wild birds around here.
You can't 'prevent' parasites, unless your birds live indoors all the time. If they are outside at all, or if wild birds come into your coop or run, or if you feed certain raw products, your birds will encounter some parasite or other. Then it's time to act.
Mary

I spray when mites or lice appear on the birds, and I try to look closely at some of the birds every week or so. At night, with a flashlight, when they are roosting, I scan at least six or eight birds, including some roosters.
One bug on one bird, and the spray or dust comes out!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom