What do you charge?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billmac, Sep 28, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I know this will vary, but what do you charge for the eggs you sell? Large eggs are about $1.25 in the grocery store, and our local food co-op sells large eggs for $2.50, so I'm thinking of trying $2.00. The hens are free range (within a yard) and fed unmedicated commercial feed and leftover veggies and greenery (they loved the pepper plants I threw in there after I harvested the last of the peppers).

What do you think?

2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    tis the area that makes the difference.
    in Ca. its 3.00 for large in Tn. its 1.75

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Sissy is right it depends on where you are. I get $2.00 in NW Mississippi.

[​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    3.00 a dozen and they thought that was cheap [​IMG]

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I sell for $2.50 a dozen... sort of. It's what the grocery store charges for "brown cage free" eggs. Meaning the chickens roam around in a barn.

My chickens are pretty much free range and organic. A Co-op in my area sells similar eggs for $3.50 for 6 (yep $7 a dozen). Every one I know is thrilled to get really good extremely fresh eggs from happy healthy drug free chickens for $2.50.

There's value in freshness and keeping chickens in a human manner. People are more then willing to pay just a bit more for you eggs. And the hardest thing to do is raise you price if you find you are coming up short. It's far easier to lower you price or throw in a few extras now and then. Right now I'm selling 18 for the price of 12 because I have several pullets laying small eggs. 9 large/ medium eggs and 9 small eggs for $2.50 .... my customers are THRILLED.

I'd never consider less that $2.50. Your eggs will most certainly be fresher than the co-ops why would you consider selling cheaper?m

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. mrsweb

mrsweb New Egg

Aug 20, 2008
    Quote:I sell mine for $2.00 and they are free range with commerical feed also. Funny yours went for the pepper plants. Green/Red peppers are about the ONLY thing my chickens wont get near...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by