What do you do for a living?

Amazing....all the different careers.

I was a hairdresser for about 28 years. Quit when my daughter started high school and moved back to my hometown. She is special needs and I felt like I needed to be home when she was home. Worked for a major pork producer for 7 years....as an admin assistant. Remarried after 20 years divorced....I know, what was I thinking....and now we both work Union jobs, he for the carpenters union and I work for the labor union. We mostly work Nuclear Power Plants. The jobs pay well but are seasonal. He is working out of state right now but an outage is starting up here late November and we will both work it.

Really good things about the job and bad too.

Journalist by trade, currently unemployed but that MAY change assuming I pass the background check. I would be working at the local alt weekly in Anchorage.

If that doesn't go through, I'm going back to school to get a degree in Medical Laboratory Technology. That will either land me a job in a field I enjoy, or be a jumping off point for graduate studies.

I've had a lot of weird jobs though:

eBay store employee
eBay lister
Vet Assistant
Waitress
Bartender
Barista
Hotel Manager
Pet Shop Employee
Newspaper owner/publisher
Freelance Writer
Freelance Marketing/Advertising
Production Assistant
Administrative Assistant
Receptionist
Dog Show Handler
Kennel Assistant
Baby sitter
Pet sitter
House sitter
Housekeeping
Zoo keeper
Remodeling Construction Work
Concrete Counter top fabricator
Tile Mosaic work
Painter

And probably more!

Sometimes it's good to have a varied skill set as it gives you lots of options in a tough economy. Sometimes when prospective employers look down and see that you haven't had many multi-year employment stints, it's a very bad thing.

Last edited:
Resigned from public school teaching last year after 12 years (military prior to that) and now substitute teach part-time. Maybe I'll get some ideas from this thread on what I may do in the future
smile.png

I worked for a lot of years in the Youth Service - with problem teens. ( then I had teenagers of my own!!!)
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

After that I changed to working in the ambulance services. - Mainly on cardiac and OAPs and patients who were life limited. I also worked on co - ordinating patient transport services and Hospital care services and police liason for emergency escourts! I also co- ordinated road transport for critical care patients and road transport for transplants which was great and fun but also very stessful at times. Especially when I needed to make sure all was in place for high speed transfers. Making sure police escourts, and airplanes were in the right place and land crews were on time!!!! - one time I had a patient on an external heart with batteries for two hours - but the journey was longer than that if we took loading and off loading into concideration!!!!!! In the end managed it in 1 hr 30 mins!!!! My fantasticly fast drivers and police escourts kept it moving!!!
I have great memories!!!!

I am now retired - do I miss it ?????????

NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!!! - I love my quiet country life with my chickens!!!!!!!

For the last 9 years I have been a fairly well-paid babysitter of wayward adults, some with special needs, some without--all with errant ways; sometimes I have been known to have babysat multi-generations of the same family (at the same time).
roll.png

I love it & wouldn't change it for anything right now...except the ability to stay home & be a full time farmer...and still be able to pay the bills!

Quote:
Any day you wake up on this side of the dirt brings the possibility that your dreams will come true! Ah, the simple life...I have 10 yrs, 11 1/2 months before I can even dream about retiring...

Back
Top Bottom