What do you do to get ready for winter?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenKid11, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    So I am new to this what do you do to get ready for winter with your coop,chicken,equipment ect. I would just like to know to see if I need to or if I have already done it.
    Thanks!!!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have my black rubber bowls and milk jugs ready for hauling water out to them twice a day (but I live in a fairly temperate climate). The black rubber bowls work well, as you turn them upside down and step on them, and the ice pops out.

I have my 100 watt bulbs ready and hung two ways with wire (even including the metal shade so it won't fall out of the clamp assembly), not including the clamp.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    We don't have severe winters here. I really don't do much differently except make sure there is a nice thick layer of wood chips on the floor. Some people who live in super cold places like to figure out a way to keep the water thawed (like a low watt bulb in a cookie tin under the waterer) so that they don't have to break the ice multiple times a day.
    Make sure your coop has good ventilation up high. Chickens tolerate cold well as long as the humidity has somewhere to escape. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by