What do you do with a hen who is done laying?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3rocksandme, Aug 18, 2010.

1. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    This may seem like a silly question, but what do you do with a laying hen after she doesn't produce eggs anymore? Is a mature heritage breed still good to eat?

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

wow I've never had a hen stop laying...All mine get killed by predators, natural causes (illness and old age, etc), drowning (usually chicks X_x), and accidents (me - lol)
    I've had a hen who was 9 yrs old who still layed 4 eggs a week (RIR) and my friend has a hen currently who is 12ish and lays 5-6 eggs a week (Leghorn/BR cross(guess) )

I guess you could eat - but aged meat is usually much tougher and less ability to absorb/hold moisture when cooking in my experience. If anything use them for soup/stew [​IMG]

3. 3rocksandme

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    Wow, I was under the impression hens only laid for a few years. Or that's what I have been told. It suddenly dawned on my that we would have to do something with the retired ladies, but I wasn't sure what....build a hen retirement home or something.

4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I know this is a chicken board and everyone has different opinions but could you really eat something that you have had for years?? I could not do it but I guess to each his/her own.. I VOTE on retirement home... [​IMG]

Candace

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have 2 now that are not laying due to their age and I think we will have to cull to make space for new stock. It is sad but we can't afford to feed a bird that does not produce. My daughter is not happy with that but I'm afraid it is something she will have to get used to. I would not eat either of them though as they will be tough.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:That's why you marinate and then slow cook in a crock pot.

7. 3rocksandme

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    Just curious....how old are the birds that have stopped laying? And what would you do with them after they are culled?

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:That's why you marinate and then slow cook in a crock pot.

These old birds, that are actually old and have some years in them, make the very, very best chicken broth - the meat is full of rich flavor that only comes with age (like a fine wine)! The meat is great for soup or pot pies.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I vote for retirement home or assisted living.

10. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Retired hen house [​IMG] They served you now you serve them I guess. That's what I would do anyway.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by