• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I'm thinking I should call up our local food pantry and ask if I can donate eggs, however I'm pretty certain they don't have a fridge....
Council on Aging, Meals on Wheels, Senior Recreation Centers, Bingo Halls, Senior Daycare facilities are donation and contact possibilities. Elderly people often have trouble shopping, and are low on finances, and love company usually. Plus need dropping in on to see if they are OK. If you get permission to visit, you would be donating food that's familiar, easy to prepare, and providing some attention. Heck, you could even fry an egg for them if you have time.

My intention is to start selling them, but the reality is I end up giving most of them away because my family doesn't eat breakfast and we do a lot of grilling out for dinner, so we don't have much call for baked goods or other cooked things that call for eggs. I should really bake cakes and breads, but I don't. :p
We eat a lot of eggs. I make a batch of deviled eggs and set them out with dinner at least 3 times a week. I make egg salad for lunch sandwiches, why by lunchmeat when you have eggs? I have hard boiled eggs on hand all the time for a quick snack or pick me up in the afternoon. Put a sign in front of your house and sell the rest! I do!
:celebrate

My intention is to start selling them, but the reality is I end up giving most of them away because my family doesn't eat breakfast and we do a lot of grilling out for dinner, so we don't have much call for baked goods or other cooked things that call for eggs. I should really bake cakes and breads, but I don't. :p
I kept eggs over the winter because we thought the girls would stop laying and they didn't I started using them to fill out my dozens when I was delivering every 2 weeks.
Make your own
Mayonnaise, sell your own mayonnaise
start selling, I have an egg route and I sell 12 doz of eggs every 3 weeks in addition to a dozen for home use. People love the eggs and having them delivered is great. I designate that you cannot be any further than 3 miles from me for delivery. I have a route of 5 people and all have asked about buying home made mayonnaise... right now I do not have enough eggs to do that but that is one thing I plan on adding on as well as home made goodies. I sell my eggs for 3.75 a dozen and could probably get 4.00 if I wanted to. I am retired and it keeps me busy plus I love everyone of those little chocks out back. They all have their little personalities and quirks.

I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999
We pickle them too

Pickled eggs. All around favorite has been a cajun recipe. However, many recipes online - go with a recipe that has been out a few years and has many good reviews.

use a recipe online resource that you can search by ingredient. Here is one resource I've used:
https://www.epicurious.com/ Use advanced search to search by ingredient "egg", then sort by meal or other filters. You'll be surprised at some innovative recipes and you may find a new family favorite!

Reduce the number of chickens to reduce the number of eggs

Donate to a food pantry or soup kitchen. However, ask pertinent questions before donating if worried about any repercussions. You'll likely get a donation receipt that might be eligible for tax deduction if you itemize - since I am not a tax professional you will need to do your homework to determine the specifics.

Feed your other animals the leftover eggs (cooked)

We eat a lot of eggs via breakfast or baking, so we only have excess some of the time. We have a few friends or co-workers that we share the extras with.

My kids love "breakfast for dinner" as we serve only fruit (no veggies), eggs and an animal protein, some kind of carb (like waffles or pancakes or homemade biscuits) - but this is only occasional, making it a special event to the kids - did I mention no veggies (lol).

Add a couple of eggs on pizza and broil to cook - I've seen this served in restaurants, but usually results in runny yolks so this would be a no-go if that is not appealing to your family.

Add an egg to a burger - called "cowboy style"

Cajun pickled eggs!!!! DANG you got my attention. Never heard of a Cajun style but Cajun food is one of my favorites. Gotta look it up.

Back
Top Bottom