• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
My intention is to start selling them, but the reality is I end up giving most of them away because my family doesn't eat breakfast and we do a lot of grilling out for dinner, so we don't have much call for baked goods or other cooked things that call for eggs. I should really bake cakes and breads, but I don't. :p
Why do you have so many chickens if you don't even have a need for the eggs? Maybe you should consider reducing your flock.

Why do you have so many chickens if you don't even have a need for the eggs? Maybe you should consider reducing your flock.

I just enjoy keeping the different breeds and watching them interact. And I do have intentions to start selling the eggs this year now that I'm more used to chicken keeping in general. I really didn't have much of a plan for the eggs last year so they piled up, this year I'm gathering recipes for cooking and preserving them before the chickens start to lay (I sold my laying stock from last year and started from scratch with different breeds). Whatever I can't use I'll try to sell or donate.

There are several ways of preserving eggs. I have frozen them before in anticipation of a slow down in winter, but my birds kept churning out plenty of fresh eggs all year long and I hardly ever used them. The best outcome of freezing was with the ones that I scrambled and stored uncooked in approximately one-cup quantities. You can crack them and freeze them without scrambling but mine didn't keep their texture as well. I give away most of my fresh eggs. Whenever there is a pot luck gathering, I make large egg casseroles or maybe angel food cakes. I'd love to find a way to give them to people who have true financial barriers to fresh food.
Yes, cakes, pies, or deviled eggs for every family reunion. I put a leaf or two of any various herbs on top. Rosemary, sage, parsley, thyme are good. Each egg gets a different flavor.

I may start passing out eggs to folks in their yards. But I am spending $20 a week on chicken feed, although my flock is free range. So my number is on the carton, and the next carton is $2.50. Unless you have a camellia I can get a cutting from, or some other plant to barter. I see a lot of run down houses and trailors with beautiful flowers.

I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999
Our 16 sweet young ladies lay way too many eggs for the 2 of us to consume. Here's what we do: Eat what we want; freeze some in case they stop laying; share with friends. Far and away the most enjoyable thing I do is every couple of weeks I gather my extra cartons of eggs and take them into our economically struggling little town. I go to the Post Office, offer eggs to the Postmistress, workers, and any customers who are there. Anywhere in town when I see folks who seem down on their luck I offer eggs to them. The amazement - and the smiles on peoples' faces when they find out this is a gift just makes my day! Try it!!

You can't freeze eggs in their shells because the contents expand and crack them. You can use an ice cube tray: put 1 egg in each section AND BREAK THE YOLK. Perfect for when you need just one egg or two for baking or cooking. Alternatively, you can lightly scramble several eggs (enough to be sure the yolks are all broken) and freeze in a Mason jar. Some people add a pinch of salt or a bit of honey. Leave space for expansion inside the jar (I leave about an inch). Hope this helps!

IIhave five hens a laying, and Dr. Oz said every man should have an egg a day, so I have at least one for brkfst.
I keep about three dozen pickled in a big jar in the fridge. I probably average one a day. Then I have a dorm refrigerator I no longer needed. I now rotate my eggs through the dorm fridge and by mid fall usually have slightly more than enough to get us through winter and molting. I think it holds roughly 25- 18 count cartons.
I also give a few dozen away every month.

Idk, in the winter when mine freeze they crack open.

We never have to many eggs. We use them for dog food.
They can be frozen in what looks like an ice cube tray or you can actually use any ice cube tray but regular trays are just a bit small. So you have to beat several eggs and separate them the best you to fit in the traditional trays. You'll need to stop below the top edge when filling. Larger trays can be bought online for one, I got a set but turns out my eggs are being sold so now I don't freeze them. You can also scramble eggs and feed them back to your chickens. Good source of protein, especially during winter. No, feeding them back to your hens will not encourage them to eat them raw from their nest. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom