• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
HOOORAY people, I got an egg today. My light brown leghorn came through. I haven't seen an egg since October. I almost feel like enshrining it. The other 3 hens still eating every day and not producing. The 4 pullets are 16 weeks old, so any week now should start to see eggs there. :fl

Still waiting for the girls to pick back up. I'm hoping for my birthday in February...? Anyway, since I want/hope to get two-four more pullets next spring, the too many egg question will probably be taken care of by my neighbors buying them. Three of them already have said they would. I think one neighbor would be very happy to take extras to her church too.

Still, if it came up, I'm sure I could find recipients for free eggs. I certainly would never throw them out.

You just go by your local regulations and food bank rules. Some even take meat like venison under certain criteria. In the US, as long as the eggs are stored in the fridge, debris removed from the shell, and fully cooked there isn’t a problem. Salmonella might be but that is taken care of by fully cooking eggs and washing shells, or at least careful handling when cracking them and storing in the fridge. My plan is to use cartons with the safe handling notation.
I used to donate eggs to schools for hatching in the classrooms. The staff and the kids loved it.

I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999
Many years ago, when people didn’t all have access to feed stores, we would have hens on eggs to hatch them for the flock and for the table. We hard boiled eggs. The eggs were then smashed on our hands until they were no longer solid. This was our version of “chick starter”. After a number of days, we would begin adding oatmeal or our own crushed oats to the mashed, hard boiled eggs. This was our version of “chick grower. Later we added ground corn. When we had our chicks outdoors we got them on scratch and table scraps and our eggs were used up by our family or were sold.

Back
Top Bottom