What do you do with all your eggs?!

Yes, there is a difference between store bought and homegrown. One difference here is my dogs sure ain't getting any of the homegrown!
IMG_2248.JPG

Mine just started laying a couple of months ago, hatch, scramble & share - breakfast with the hubby, kitties, & pups! Still having to buy store bought eggs to supplement - until the polar vortex gets out of Michigan. The single digit temps stopped all egg production, they've been supplying @ two - three eggs a day when it gets @24degf. Some have been so frozen they spider cracked and stayed intact. I hatched five so far and I have more in the incubator. Need a few more hens for the hen house!

Yes, there is a difference between store bought and homegrown. One difference here is my dogs sure ain't getting any of the homegrown!
View attachment 1258571
I really like the photo you shared, because yes that is the quality diffrence I am seeing. I should probably just buy the dogs a dozen eggs from family dollar and lie to them about what they are getting!

Put out a sign & see what interest you get. A dozen eggs here, usually go for $3 to $4 & they aren't all clean or you could sell 1/2 for less if your chickens don't many eggs. Don't sell yourself short, your eggs will be more nutritious, the feed costs money, & the eggs are fresher.

I read somewhere that when your eggs look constantly messy, it may be a sign of internal parasites; so sprinkle some food grade DE (diatomaceous earth on the chicken food for a few days. So, I tried the DE & within a couple of days found that the eggs were clean, even in winter with the wet/muddy weather. I'm always suspicious, but it works & my flock looks even healthier for it. My co-op feed store sells the food grade DE for around $23 for what looks like 10 lbs or less, not bad for a dewormer with no side effects. I seem to have to use this big problem solver a few times a year. Best wishes.

I have ducks and chickens and in Spring through Summer, we are overrun with eggs. My mom comes by once a week and brings them to work with her... She sells them for me ($4/dozen for chicken and $6/dozen for duck). Or course, we can't live without our egg sandwiches every morning! Nothing like a delicious creamy yolk on a homemade sourdough English muffin! Plus I always supply my parents and my sister's fam as well :)
I like to keep some older duck eggs and steam them for making pickled eggs and egg salad sandwiches. Delicious.

I have ducks and chickens and in Spring through Summer, we are overrun with eggs. My mom comes by once a week and brings them to work with her... She sells them for me ($4/dozen for chicken and $6/dozen for duck). Or course, we can't live without our egg sandwiches every morning! Nothing like a delicious creamy yolk on a homemade sourdough English muffin! Plus I always supply my parents and my sister's fam as well :)
I like to keep some older duck eggs and steam them for making pickled eggs and egg salad sandwiches. Delicious.

That's a fabulous way to sell them!

I sell 5 dozen a week, $5 per dozen. Keeps my girls and my one roo in feed and treats. My eggs are all colors, except white, and my customers LOVE them. I think the prettiness of the eggs is what sells them and the taste and nutritional value keeps the customers coming back. I love my hens, each and every one and they know it.

I have 29 birds(1 Roo and 28 hens), but they're not really laying right now. I'm getting an average of 4-5 eggs a day. When they do start laying I have a few neighbors who are interested in buying eggs. One neighbor bought eggs last summer, and she loved farm fresh organic eggs! Right now I'm trying to stock my fridge full of eggs. When my dad comes he eats about 10 eggs a day, he loves them! I always wash mine and store them in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom