What do you do with excess roosters?

Pics
I eat them, once they are no longer tiny fluffballs.

What age and weight depends a lot on how they are acting:
If they are annoying me with too many crowing at once, or if they're all pestering the pullets, or if the pen just seems too crowded, I will butcher them sooner.

If everything is going fine, and I just don't feel like deciding yet, I will butcher them later.

I prefer to butcher some of the obvious not-keepers sooner, and wait until later to make final decisions about the last few.

My obvious not-keepers would include any that I consider ugly, any that have physical problems (crossed beak, wrong number of toes, things like that), any that bite me or attack me, any that regularly get out of the pen, any that are so submissive that they don't get enough to eat, any that otherwise need special attention.

If I pick each male up to look at him, and if several tolerate it calmly while one panics and struggles wildly, the panicky one will probably get butchered.
The rooster I chose from my batch(pure Barred Rock) was one that wasn't picked on(not a sissy) and didn't pick on others. I wanted to keep one of my

I always sell all my roosters because I could never kill them. I have 2 silkie roosters that get along really well with my 3 silkie hens and 4 isa brown layers. They keep the peace in the coop between the layers and the smaller silkie hens and get along so good. You can always post your extra roosters on some sort of socail media page or on Kijiji which is how I sell mine. Roosters usually sell better at the end of winter when everyone is starting their flocks up again. Good luck!

You do what you can keeping their best interest in mind. You rehome if you can, but truth is that's not always something that works out, for one roosters are difficult as it is to rehome and doubly so if you're in a very rural area such as myself. Then sometimes you end up with a very aggressive rooster and it wouldn't be right to rehome it and put that on somebody else.
It's unfortunate, and I hate every bit of it but I cull if I have to. Just had to do it to 2 roosters recently but was able to rehome one thankfully.

You do what you can keeping their best interest in mind. You rehome if you can, but truth is that's not always something that works out, for one roosters are difficult as it is to rehome and doubly so if you're in a very rural area such as myself. Then sometimes you end up with a very aggressive rooster and it wouldn't be right to rehome it and put that on somebody else.
It's unfortunate, and I hate every bit of it but I cull if I have to. Just had to do it to 2 roosters recently but was able to rehome one thankfully.
Ya sometimes it is hard to get rid of roosters. I only hatch breeds like silkies that I know will have friendly roosters so I have a better chance of getting rid of them. I would never sell someone a mean rooster though. If you do want to make sure they turn out friendly you have to spend a lot of time with them and even still they sometimes turn out aggressive. I have a 3 year old bantam rooster that is really mean and attacks people. I have tried many methods of trying to make him nice but none of them have worked. He is starting to get old and calm down though so he doesn’t attack me as much as he used to. It is sad but sometimes some roosters cannot be tamed. I am going to keep my mean rooster till he dies though because I love the little cutie!

Ya sometimes it is hard to get rid of roosters. I only hatch breeds like silkies that I know will have friendly roosters so I have a better chance of getting rid of them. I would never sell someone a mean rooster though. If you do want to make sure they turn out friendly you have to spend a lot of time with them and even still they sometimes turn out aggressive. I have a 3 year old bantam rooster that is really mean and attacks people. I have tried many methods of trying to make him nice but none of them have worked. He is starting to get old and calm down though so he doesn’t attack me as much as he used to. It is sad but sometimes some roosters cannot be tamed. I am going to keep my mean rooster till he dies though because I love the little cutie!

yep. We've never had a mean rooster in over a decade until we got this easter egger. Spent plenty of time with him, trust me. Just turned out mean, and boy did he make up for all those years of having no mean roosters lol. He would beeline it to me from yards away if he saw me and flog me. It was pretty entertaining to be honest, and he was a beautiful rooster, but when I saw somebody rehoming the breed of rooster I wanted and was lucky enough to get him, he had to go.

Back
Top Bottom