What do you do with the livers, gizzards, necks, feet and beaks?

Feed them to your dog or cat(if you have one). Chicken feet are great for dogs with hip or joint problems because they contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin. A lot of people will feed a couple chicken feet a day to their dog instead of Glucosamine and Chondroitin pills. I do this for my German Shepherd and it works great. For the liver, if your pets won't eat it raw try freezing it first then feeding. One of my dogs loves liver, but only frozen.

Lot of people saying they feed the livers and gizzards to dogs. That is fine as long as you are smart about it. In small quantities these are good treats high in protein and iron. However, liver is a cleansing organ, meaning it contains all the toxins the chicken (or whatever animal) was trying to get rid of. This becomes dangerous for small dogs (Yorkies, Chihuahua's, etc) or even larger breeds in large amounts.

We fry the livers, gizzards, and hearts right after processing or for the next morning's breakfast.
droolin.gif
We take the necks, backs, legs and bones after deboning the meat and then boil the rest of the meat off the bones. Remove the bones, reheat to boil to concentrate the liquid , place the meat and remaining liquid jelatin in a bowl and let cool to set up in the refrigerator overnight. Makes a great joint healthy and tastey headcheese feast. Slice it up and serve with a little vinegar on top and a piece of bread.
celebrate.gif
Recipe from both of my grandmothers from the old country.
love.gif

Yes! Great dog food. A prey-model raw diet for dogs is good at about 75-80% raw muscle meat, 10-15% bone and 10-15% organs (about half of that should be liver). Of course, it never hurts give a little more organ meat than normal for a short period of time, and these percentages can be averaged out over the course of a week, so you don't have to worry about getting exact percentages every day.

I don't feed my dogs raw...yet... I don't have the resources yet... But I do give them raw meat when I have the chance-- otherwise they eat their high quality kibble.

Back
Top Bottom