What do you do with your chickens when they are done laying?

Mine all have names so they are my pets. My original eight are more of pets than my new thirteen though. Love the comments. Thought that you did not want to eat old birds. Also can't eat my chix that are named!!!

Quote:
We do the same, I love being able to give my family/friends fresh eggs. We average about a dozen and a half eggs a week so we really couldnt sell them even if we wanted to.

Quote:
Welcome, Magnolia!

Chickens CAN lay as long as they live; they usually slow down and don't lay as regularly. A couple people have reported their "elderly" hens laying an egg a week or every couple of weeks. Some folks here on BYC have 8 and 10 year old chickens.

Most factory chickens are culled when they are two to three years old because their production has decreased, but that doesn't mean they have STOPPED laying or that they are "old."

My Wyandotte is 6 years old and she is still laying.
I also had a "retired" 10 year old barred rock that kept laying.

Mine are all pets, so i could care less if they lay or not.
They are just there to be loved
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
That's not a bad idea, but I would be concerned that doing so would make my yard an "attraction" for predators. If they know food is available, then wouldn't that make the predators start hanging around more often? Curious.

Quote:
That's not a bad idea, but I would be concerned that doing so would make my yard an "attraction" for predators. If they know food is available, then wouldn't that make the predators start hanging around more often? Curious.

Thats what I would think...

Quote:

That seems really harsh to me, but mine are pets. Even if I was just having them for breeding I couldn't imagine doing that. Or eating them either. I guess if I had a couple hundred maybe I'd feel different, but all of mine have names and I've pretty much raised from eggs, save the few I bought, but even they are becoming part of the family.

Quote:

That seems really harsh to me, but mine are pets. Even if I was just having them for breeding I couldn't imagine doing that. Or eating them either. I guess if I had a couple hundred maybe I'd feel different, but all of mine have names and I've pretty much raised from eggs, save the few I bought, but even they are becoming part of the family.

Ditto. I have about 70 chickens, but about 25 of 'em are not yet laying. Maybe in about two months those will be laying....

In any case, they are ALL pets. Not all are named yet, because I wait until I know their personalities before their names "come to me."

Quote:
I think many of us have pondered the OP's question especially there are so many of us new to the chicken world. but you brought a whole new idea to the table.. I hadn't thought of the broody hen seneraio. So ( Im new my first year so bear with me) So even if hens aren't laying or very little, they can and will , still go broody ( I assume these hens went broody when young so its in their regular disposition to sit) so we could actually use these older hens in a mothering / brooder role... Wow this helps. I too was worried about the time when my girls get old and no longer " work " for her living. and Ill of course have to replace them with younger girls . but I too get very attached to them... I know its a part of farm life.. but still not looking forward to it.. i figure the cockerels and the rooster overages will got o freezer camp, but I hate for my girls..

thanks for a great idea and OP thanks for asking the question..

)O(
Pink

Back
Top Bottom