What do you do with your eggs when you collect them?

What do you do with your eggs after collecting them?

• Total voters
With my chicken eggs, I bring them inside and put them in the fridge, unless we have too many, then I crack a few open and give them to my flock. With my duck eggs, they're usually cracked open right away for the flock to eat, or every so often I bring one inside because I want to eat it.

I incubate the eggs, of course! With such beautiful chickens, how can I just eat all their potential offspring?
IMG_8734 copy.jpg SLO 1.jpg tri colors 2jpg.jpg

I save the shells to crumble up and feed back to the chickens.

....... unless the kids have an art project in mind
IMG_1292.JPG

.....or a science fair experiment.
b.jpg

I also put eggs in my coat pocket.... and then forget they're there.
I could be out running errands, reach into my pocket, and pull out an egg while waiting in line at the bank. The worst is when I remember the egg is there b/c I felt a warm, wet smoosh when using my hip to hold open a door.

If they are clean then I leave them alone and put them in a carton in the refrigerator. Any dirty ones get washed then put in either a carton or our personal use bin. My husband sells eggs to some of his coworkers so I refrigerate everything.

We have 3 laying hens and one old girl that stopped laying years ago. Our plastic skelter has several optional rows but we only built up two rows which is plenty to hold our girls' eggs. Leaving the eggs on the counter allows us to use them more quickly than if we refrigerated them. Dirty eggs not too often an issue. We hard-boil 7 eggs each week in the old Egg Genie electric cooker and refrigerate them for snacks. The eggs left in the skelter get used for breakfast or using in recipes. It's nice to leave the eggs on the counter and not have to dig for egg cartons that get pushed around in the fridge. I don't wash the bloom off eggs -- right from the nestbox they go on the skelter.

DSCN7809.JPG
DSCN7810.JPG
DSCN7922.JPG

Back
Top Bottom