What do you do with your eggs when you collect them?

What do you do with your eggs after collecting them?

• Total voters
Pics
Do people put muddy or feces covered eggs in the fridge without washing?? Curious. I have to wash mine. Sometimes they look like they’ve been dipped in mud...my hens have MANY nest boxes yet prefer to go lay in ones with existing eggs. If their feet are muddy, it’s all over the other eggs. I don’t know how to stop it.

Do people put muddy or feces covered eggs in the fridge without washing?? Curious. I have to wash mine. Sometimes they look like they’ve been dipped in mud...my hens have MANY nest boxes yet prefer to go lay in ones with existing eggs. If their feet are muddy, it’s all over the other eggs. I don’t know how to stop it.

Can you pick up eggs more frequently (or have someone do so)? Or maybe consider a rollaway next box? Even in rain and mud I rarely had an issue with eggs getting soiled, I check for eggs twice a day.

you don't want to put soiled eggs in the fridge leave them on the counter till you clean them. they stay good a long time on the counter but if you wash them you must refrigerate. eggs shells are full of pores which do contract and expand with heat and cold so essentially when the pores expand again bacteria can go into your eggs.
far as your eegs getting dirty, i would 1 try and collect more often, make sure your putting enough nesting material in there, and you might want to give ceramic eggs a try if they all try and lay in the same nest. i had that same issue and i put 2 ceramic eggs in each nesting area. i just wash them every now and again but keep them in there otherwise and it got them to start using all the nests.
hope that helps :)

People do many things with their eggs! What about you? Please vote and if you chose other then please tell us what you do! :)

When I collect my eggs, I do wash them and fridge only a dozen for this house. The rest, I cook for my pups and 3 yr old dog. If I have a bird in need to gain more nourishment than the others, I give some cooked eggs to eat. The shells, I wash, allow to dry, crushed, and use 3 ways. My compost, my plants that need calcium, and added calcium to chickens. Sometimes my dog will sneak any egg and eat it as is. At times a neighbor wants some, so I give them dozen for free. Lol I have about 30 plus chickens. Most stopped laying right now.

All my eggs stay out unwashed. Don't have to many dirty ones, maybe if it's rained a bunch some will get muddy, those I save til I have enough to make scrambled eggs for the birds.
48592.jpeg

Mucky feet can indeed make for mucky eggs.
I have been able to reduce this greatly by keeping the run well bedded so excessive muck doesn't happen during rain or snow melt.

ETA: Most my eggs go straight into a rack on counter until cartoned up for sale.

If you're going to 'clean' eggs, clean them thoroughly, just 'wiping them' does affect the bloom and likely won't get all the 'germs' off. I don't wash eggs unless they are very dirty, then will refrigerate or use immediately because thorough washing will remove all the protective bloom(cuticle).

Eggs should be washed in 'water warmer than the egg'.
Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom