What do you do with your extra eggs???

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I have been giving them to family and feeding them back to the hens, but my girls are on a roll and now I have 6 dozen in the fridge..lol I wanted to put a sign on the mailbox saying fresh eggs, but wasn't sure I could (legally). So I emailed our county agricultural department. The guy said he was out of town, but thought that would be fine since we are in the county and not in city limits, but he would find out for sure and let me know Tuesday.

For those that sell their extra eggs how do you go about it??? Thanks

As a stay at home mum, I put an ad in Craigslist and have a few long-time customers from that. If you or DH has a job, perhaps you can put the word out at work that you have extra eggs available for sale?

I put a little fridge outside my door with a jar on top. I leave a sign at the top of my driveway saying "Farm Fresh Eggs" and we go by the honor system. People come grab eggs, leave money in the jar. I dont have to do anything but keep the fridge stocked. I have some business cards so they can call and request a large amount or size.

Don't have any extra, really. Our customer base is pretty solid. I'd feed them back to the hens, if I did. Then, I'd either adjust my flock size or get another customer or two.
smile.png

My local homeless shelter is delighted to take all the eggs I want to give them. Plenty of hungry, down on their luck, folks out there who could use a good meal. Some food banks can handle perishables so they may want them as well.

I haven't had extras yet as everyone is not in lay yet. I did call local food bank and they gladly take farm fresh eggs, local produce, as well as canned food.

edited because I was doing too much at once and typo'd.

Last edited:
yeah i agree, or even just put a sign on your front drive way, we did that with the extra parseley from our over sized plant and within a few hours we had a customer already, i dont see why u cant do the same with eggs,besides the customers probabley dont mind a little bit of hay stuck to it, it just makes u feel like the hen who laid it was a happy one.

I would try putting a sign out in front of the house; and if you work at in office with lots of employees, that's always a big hit for egg sales!

smile.png

Our local foodbank takes them. They will even supply the cartons. They just want to make sure that they are collected and refridgerated daily and they want them to be washed as some clients wouldn't know to do that. I usually have a wash day right before I take them in so they are as fresh as possible. They have me put green eggs together in cartons so they don't have to "explain" them to as many people
wink.png
lol.png
I've even had a little old babushka see me come in and tell the man helping her that she will wait for the "REAL" eggs - pointing at me!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom