What do you do with your hens when they stop laying??

Pretty easily! They taste something like chicken....
wink.png

I realize this thread was started quite some time ago but I was wondering if LindsaySinai had any updates on the dilemma? I have read through all the pages and I get that some do and some don't...
It will be quite some time before I have to face the same decision, (getting my pullets in March!) but the primary reason I decided to raise hens was for the fresh eggs. My township ordinances limit my ability to have more than 14 chickens...I will eventually have to decide what to do with the non producers. I already know that I personally will not be able to eat something that I have raised/fed/made me smile...are there any other options? I live in Bucks County PA.

I don't know what I am going to do with my chickens once they stop laying. We are also in it for the eggs, but enjoy the
companionship, as well. I really don't want more than a few at a time & already feel we are capacity with the six we have now.
I am also hoping the choice will be very clear when the time comes. I guess I am hoping that nature will take it's course with our
little flock & it will be thinned out naturally due to typical chicken circumstances (age/predators/disease etc..). I debated whether to bother naming them or not for this exact reason.

I live in Alberta Canada. Does anyone know where I can go to get a few chickens butchered? Most places require a whole bunch at a time.

Back
Top Bottom