What do you do

I don't do as much as I used to. When my kids were kids I used to volunteer at their elementary school. I was a stay-at-home mom, so my job was helping in the school library five days a week for about six years. Then their father left so I had to get a "real" job.

Now it's years later. I do occassionally give extra eggs to a restaurant that feeds the homeless. I also give a bicycle to "Toys for Tots" every Christmas.

I will hold a door for others and help the elderly and/or disabled with packages and all that usual stuff.

This thread has got me thinking that I need to do more again.

one way to help where it is much appreciated in donating money or even stuff like dog food to your LOCAL humane society. it goes directly to the animals

We are volunteering at our children's school, volunteering at our church, running our family business which is a tree farm that promotes Florida and environmentally-friendly landscapes, harvesting and sharing our organic eggs from our happy chickens, raising our three children to be productive and loving humanitarians, and loving our life, our family and our friends!

We give regularly to The Red Cross, benevolence programs at our church, youth programs, Goodwill and Interfaith. We have also employed a couple of guys with troubled pasts who have turned in to fine young men..thru lots of work on their own, not just because of us, but we gave both of them a chance when others wouldn't.

Last edited:
mom'sfolly :

Correction officer counts as one of those jobs that makes a difference. Every time you go to work, you make a difference....JMHO

Yes, you do, and God bless you for doing such work. It can't be easy, physically or mentally.​

When some of my clients lost their jobs they called to cancell their appointments with me. I told them to keep the appointment, they have been loyal to me, and they need to look their best for upcoming job hunts and interviews. I also take copies of their resumes in case another client is looking for help.

I've also paid peoples electric bills (annon.) and sent grocery gift cards (also annon.)

I've held fundraisers in my salon for the American Cancer Society during October and kept it local, held food drives for the Sal. Army, supply drives for the women's abuse shelter and do Toys for Tots every year. This years "raiser" will be for school supplies to help teachers so they don't have to put out so much of their own money to make up for what the kids can't supply for themselves. There's a teacher supply place, so I'll be doing my drive to help stock that up as much as possible.

Bless all of you for all you do. Together we can all make such a difference!!!

Last edited:
I don't do anything major,but I am happy to do my little stuff. I also give out eggs.Typically it is random strangers...the lady at the library,elderly people I see on their porch,or someone that just makes me smile.

I also try to be super nice and careful when driving. I never talk on the phone while driving. I never drive *up the rear* of the car in front of me. I always try to let people in.

And lastly I try to do stuff for people(usually the elderly) when I can like rake leaves,go shopping,or whatever. Like the other day I started taking down my elderly neighbors wooden fence.It was a PITA,but there was no way I could let her be charged $300 for 3 fence panels. She gave me 2 big rocks and some clematis,so I am super happy for those even though everyone is like," You should ask for $100". No way!

I buy gift cards through the kids school,and will give those out randomly.Gas and food cards usually. I gave my furnace guy a $25 gas card when he installed our furnace all by himself.He gave a great deal on the furnace.Also gave one to the neighbor who cleaned the snow from my driveway a few times with his blower.

You do good for others,and one day someone will do good for you.Speaking of which my other neighbor was canning some fresh strawberry preserves and she gave me a jar.Sweet heaven it is good stuff!

Quote:
Just when I think (again) that there's not enough compassion in the world today, I hear things like this! Great job! My husband scolds me a bit when I tell him that I gave money to one of the bums living under the overpass near our home. It's true that most of them are takers who abuse the system and others, but there's a few that *may truly be in need and I can't help but care about those who, if it weren't for bad luck, wouldn't have any luck at all. I don't do it often and perhaps not often enough. I, too, give our eggs away rather than sell them and we go out of our way to help friends, coworkers and members of our church family who are in need. Yes, it makes me feel good, but it's also the right thing to do! Kudos to you!

Back
Top Bottom