What do you do

I think you are all wonderful and I thank you for doing what you do for others! Often times - what you do doesn't get a verbal "thank you." I know you don't do it for that - but it's still nice!

One of the most basic things we can all do for others is SMILE. I mean really smile. Like smile with your whole face smile.
smile.png

I have nothing I do daily that is a help to others. There is an elderly couple that is quite often hungry and we filled their pantry last month. I work with a lot of disabled people every day, but that doesn't count because I get paid for it.

I keep my eyes open for when I CAN help.

What a cool thread! I love hearing about where people are in life and how they got there. Some really sweet sentiments on here.

My main job is working as an animal technician for 'pure research' at the U. Love it. Therapy and animal research seem to be what I keep gravitating to job wise. I love what the people I work with do. I love hearing about their theories and definitely their breakthroughs and/or findings. I love the passion of some of the researchers for the people and animals they help. Robotic arms moved by the brain to help amputees? Brain implants to let paralyzed people communicate? Research to understand and control epilepsy, dementia, MS? They do all that and much, much more.

I love my position because I get to help them through their process plus I get to be concerned with the animal welfare side of things. Best be doing my work correctly too, as slacking in any aspect could potentially have serious effects on a study, even things that seem really small to others, such as a temperature shift in the room, or a broken light. Also...heck, I love caring for and playing with all our critters!

I love it even more when people ask me about my work. I am against some testing myself, either being skeptical of certain branches or not supporting certain kinds of tests, but I love meeting people who want to actually learn more about all kinds of testing, rather than just assuming testing is torture.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I do CASA, we foster one kid now, I work with the rape crisis center, I escot into Planned Parenthood, and raise kids to value service to others over greed and the gimmes.

Well, my mailboxes are at the end of the quiet dirt road that I live on, and when I walk down to check the mail, I always pick up litter that the locals toss out of their trucks, beer cans, cigarette packs, soda bottles. When I lived in the city I used to volunteer at a food pantry washing trays and packing food, but there's nothing like that around me now. The biggest thing I did lately made me feel pretty good. I was cleaning out my house, because I moved a lot of stuff from a large house into a small cottage. I had a TON of very expensive clothes and shoes that my ex bought me. I mean a LOT. Well, I won't get into details, but let's just say he wasn't good to me (unless you count buying me fancy clothes), and so I cleaned them all out and donated thousands of dollars worth of clothes and shoes to a battered womans' shelter. I don't have much money, and I could have sold those clothes for a lot of money. Many still had tags and were designer brands. It felt like closure for me, and good karma, to be able to pass all those "well earned" clothes on to other women who may have left similar or worse circumstances but didn't have the luxury of such clothes. And I just resented the clothes to be honest. I didn't want to profit from them. It made me feel good to know some other woman in need would be thrilled to get such beautiful clothes to boost her self esteem.

Oh wow!
I feel bad now, because I don't volunteer and instead strive to make money for myself doing a crummy part time job
lol.png

This thread has got me thinking though.
I always make an effort to do little things, like say thanks to the bus driver (shocking how few people do that), let the people at little shops keep the change, throw in an extra little trinket for people where I work (discount store, nobody cares
tongue.png
) or volunteer to do some little task nobody wants to do.

I'm trying to be a good girl
lol.png

What do I do to make the world a better place? Make people smile. Sometimes I make people laugh. Occasionally, I make them mad.

I'm a correctional officer. We don't get much credit for what we do day to day. Seems like the only time we make the news is if its for something bad. We see things on a day to day basis that most people pray they don't see in a lifetime. But it pays the bills.lol!

Back
Top Bottom