what do you eat with your eggs

For me its a package of Grands Buttermilk buisquits and a can of Libby's sausage gravy! Scrambled eggs over the top. A couple sausage links and strips of bacon on the side does ones heart a heap of good every now and then! Everything in moderation of course.

My son and his family went vegan about 7 months ago. He and is wife have lost weight as well as the grankids but what concerns me is all the supplements that they now need to take and my granddaughter is now looking pale. If we can get all we need from just a plant based diet then why the need for supplements. I know meat eaters take them too but they are taking them to replace what they lost.
I agree. If you need to take supplements, is it really a healthier way to eat? I have read a couple of studies that say the body does not get the same benefit from supplements that it gets from the real deal. For the few vegans that I know, so much of their food is highly processed and has so much additives that I don't think they know what they are really eating, just that it meets their requirement of no animal products. The micro-nutrients that we get from the meat and dairy are so very important to our health.

Yes me too! I love my fresh eggs. They have so much flavor and dark golden yolks. I would hate to have to buy grocery store eggs!

I agree. If you need to take supplements, is it really a healthier way to eat? I have read a couple of studies that say the body does not get the same benefit from supplements that it gets from the real deal. For the few vegans that I know, so much of their food is highly processed and has so much additives that I don't think they know what they are really eating, just that it meets their requirement of no animal products. The micro-nutrients that we get from the meat and dairy are so very important to our health.

I would also be concerned about restricting the animal fat and proteins in small children's diets.

There's just too much peer reviewed scientific evidence supporting the need for those micronutrients found in meat and dairy for proper brain development. Your brain is after all... mostly fat and water. And young children especially need a lot of those B vitamins, some only found in meat sources, to maintain healthy myelin production. Without them you can get a range of disorders spanning depression, anxiety, and cognitive/behavioral developmental delays.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137939/

I would also be concerned about restricting the animal fat and proteins in small children's diets.

There's just too much peer reviewed scientific evidence supporting the need for those micronutrients found in meat and dairy for proper brain development. Your brain is after all... mostly fat and water. And young children especially need a lot of those B vitamins, some only found in meat sources, to maintain healthy myelin production. Without them you can get a range of disorders spanning depression, anxiety, and cognitive/behavioral developmental delays.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137939/

I have tried to tell my son that the kids need some of the nutrients found in meat for their brain health and he swears that they can (from all the research he/wife have done) get all they need from a plant based diet. Vegan is fine if that is what you chose..but please have some eggs and dairy at least and some fish once in awhile. This is my child that would put cheese on dirt and say mmmmmm that's good and eggs I won't even go there any way he could get them. My kids did not have any of the childhood diseases and they ate animals and what ever they had to offer. I will pass this site onto him hopefully they will stop or just include the dairy and eggs. My grandson did sneak a deviled egg at Thanksgiving rolled his eyes and said "Grandma that is so good."
hide.gif
His other grandma wants to slap her child for the tofurkey she brought. Butter is not even allowed. Ok I will stop. Thanks

I have tried to tell my son that the kids need some of the nutrients found in meat for their brain health and he swears that they can (from all the research he/wife have done) get all they need from a plant based diet. Vegan is fine if that is what you chose..but please have some eggs and dairy at least and some fish once in awhile. This is my child that would put cheese on dirt and say mmmmmm that's good and eggs I won't even go there any way he could get them. My kids did not have any of the childhood diseases and they ate animals and what ever they had to offer. I will pass this site onto him hopefully they will stop or just include the dairy and eggs. My grandson did sneak a deviled egg at Thanksgiving rolled his eyes and said "Grandma that is so good."
hide.gif
His other grandma wants to slap her child for the tofurkey she brought. Butter is not even allowed. Ok I will stop. Thanks
Well... and there is a very cut and dry difference between Veganism and Vegetarianism... Vegetarians don't eat meat, for a variety of reasons ranging from health to ideological... but they are not necessarily opposed to animal products like eggs and milk and sometimes leather, and some which can be considered pescatarian because fish meat is ok (I personally have never understood the difference between meat and fish meat because I guess I consider fish to be just as much an animal as say a chicken) ... Vegans are typically anti-meat and animal products... on an everything. Food, furniture, clothing, shoes... and the majority of them are vegan for ideological reasons... Unfortunately for them... unless they are manufacturing everything they consume, there is no way to cut out all of the animal products from their lives. I was once unfriended by a vegan friend for jokingly pointing out that the bread and cakes they were enjoying daily contained eggs... likewise the adhesives we were using (on the job) were without a doubt animal based... Bam! Unfriended! LOL Oh well...

The ultimate irony is in realizing that a lot of the supplement sources of these vitamins and nutrients are processed from animal sources... so... I dunno how it's still vegan. I try not to judge, but I've known a lot of people who don't eat meat for a lot of different reasons... And it's totally their choice... but, children are not able to choose for themselves and until they are done developing, I really think a traditional diet is best. But again... not my kids, not my say.

The only vegetarian person (out of the hundreds) I know personally that had an undeniably valid reason to be vegetarian, couldn't eat meat because during her college years, she couldn't afford meat, and over the course of those years, she lost the enzymes required to digest it properly and would get horrifically sick with indigestion if she ate meat. She is my age (37) and has recently been diagnosed with MS... and in light of that diagnosis her doctor suggested she reintroduce meat to her diet... so they've got her on a probiotic regimen to rebuild her enzymes, and they're slowly getting her ability to process animal based proteins back. so... there's that... it's anecdotal... but there it is.

Last edited:
You sound like my oldest (same age as you) well informed. They did start this because my son was having stomach problems but that is all cleared up now. Mind you he ate a lot of cheese and lots of meat there was no balance. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me. I am going to forward what I have learned from you and the site I started to read is very interesting.

Grocery store eggs have no taste compared to what we get from my girls.

I like to put eggs in my Ramen. I scramble them up and put them in when it's almost ready, gives them enough time to cook without overcooking and breaking into small pieces.

Back
Top Bottom