What do you feed them?

Quote:
I don't beleive anyone will get defensive, we are all grownups and it's imperative we all learn from one another.. I do beleive learning is what it's all about and sharing. Everyone will do things in someways differently, via food, care, housing, etc...

Some will do things one way and others another way, and we all learn new things...have a blessed day
Xoxxox

one thing to be carefully to high protein will cause leg problem., myself 24% is about the top. Nothing wrong with a little treats, but should feed a good clean feed, the other as treats.

My peafowl do eat lettuce and I like to take heads of lettuce and stick them in the fence so that the peafowl can peck at the lettuce. It is also fun to hold the lettuce and let them walk up and peck at it. If I get more than one head of lettuce, I place them all far away from each other because sometimes the peafowl get possessive over the lettuce and lower ranking birds have to wait for leftovers so this way they can just go to a different head of lettuce without having to wait for the dominant peafowl to finish.
IMG_1879.jpg

I didn't know about leg problems with protein! Thanks for the info! That's why I love this forum! Great info and great people!
the one con that I have found giving them" treats" is that they seem to be VERY picky with their base feed. So, I do try to keep the treats down to every other day or every third day.

We usually have a large surplus of squash and cucmbers from the garden. This year we planted cukes around the coop to grow up on the coop and extra squash in between the cukes just for the birds! Weplanted extra watermelon for the horses and birds. We also plant pumpkin. We have an extra acre that we don't use so its been planted with sorghum and millet for treats. We also overseed with winter rye for them to graze on during the winter.

I just pulled all the butterhead lettuce that has gone to seed and chopped it up and they loved it. My spinach is probably next to go...its getting too hot now and is not looking very good.

Back
Top Bottom