What Do You Feed Your Geese?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
Just curious what other people do?

Personally, to my way of thinking rabbit feed should be fairly appropriate for geese. I won’t have the space for pasture for at least another year now. So my flock is kept in a yard all year long. And I’m limited on the feeds I can get in this area, so I do feed rabbit pellets. I loved it when I could get quality grains to ferment, but it’s hard to come buy now. I am considering getting corn scratch from the local feed store, and adding BOSS, and fermenting that. I’d feed it along with the rabbit pellets. I could tell a huge difference in the health of animals we have processed on fermented feeds, and better egg quality as well. I do offer hay, but my geese aren’t ecstatic about it.

What kind of rabbit food do you feed?

currently I’m feeding a mix of Purina flock raiser and Purina 30% game bird starter “I have some sick birds atm so they need the extra protein.”

I am fortunate to have a locally milled "All poultry maintenance feed" that my geese love. It consists of soy beans, BOSS, corn, Milo, wheat and a protein/vitamin pellet. I also use it as chicken scratch. They also get unlimited hay in the winter.
Rabbit chow is mostly made from grass and alfalfa hays and makes an acceptable forage alternative for geese. I would make it no more than 50% of their diet and offer an all flock or layer feed for the balance. My geese have never been fans of mash, crumble or fermented feed. They just don't seem to be able to pick it up.
Geese are hot and cold with hay. Sometimes they only want grass and other times they are craving alfalfa. The biggest factor is the quality of the hay. Is it immature tender hay or is it high fiber long stemmed mature hays? Start by picking up a different bale of hay. Buy the highest quality horse or dairy hay you can find. You can also take grass clippers and cut the hay 2-3 inches long. Keep the hay off the ground. I use hay racks. Milk crates tied to the fence work well too. IMG_20220203_114821.jpg

What kind of rabbit food do you feed?

currently I’m feeding a mix of Purina flock raiser and Purina 30% game bird starter “I have some sick birds atm so they need the extra protein.”
Pen Pals. I was actually thinking of switching to Purina rabbit feed for my rabbits, but Penpals is similar, the first ingredient is alfalfa, fat, fiber, and protein are all the same.

I am fortunate to have a locally milled "All poultry maintenance feed" that my geese love. It consists of soy beans, BOSS, corn, Milo, wheat and a protein/vitamin pellet. I also use it as chicken scratch. They also get unlimited hay in the winter.
Rabbit chow is mostly made from grass and alfalfa hays and makes an acceptable forage alternative for geese. I would make it no more than 50% of their diet and offer an all flock or layer feed for the balance. My geese have never been fans of mash, crumble or fermented feed. They just don't seem to be able to pick it up.
Geese are hot and cold with hay. Sometimes they only want grass and other times they are craving alfalfa. The biggest factor is the quality of the hay. Is it immature tender hay or is it high fiber long stemmed mature hays? Start by picking up a different bale of hay. Buy the highest quality horse or dairy hay you can find. You can also take grass clippers and cut the hay 2-3 inches long. Keep the hay off the ground. I use hay racks. Milk crates tied to the fence work well too.View attachment 2982438

I’ll try the milk crates fit the hay. We have horses, so they get whatever I’m giving them. Some Timothy, some mixed grasses. Since mine like wet feeds I’m thinking they would like softened alfalfa cubes. It’s been so cold I just feel like they could do with a little extra something.

I’ve been told that layer feed is bad for geese. Too much calcium. It will build up in their joints and organs.

Just curious. Why you say you wouldn’t feed rabbit feed any more then 50% of their diet, are primarily herbivores, not omnivores like chickens and ducks?

I would limit the amount of rabbit chow because bottom line, it's formulated for rabbits. Would you feed your horses exclusively a goat or cattle ration? Probably not. Is rabbit chow safe for geese? Sure, but the vitamin/mineral profile is going to be off. With the high fiber content, is it calorically deficient? It surprisingly is low in Ca so during the laying season, they will need supplemental oyster shell. I have a significantly higher hatch rate when I feed Mazuri so you can't dismiss the effect a specifically formulated diet has on their overall health.

Back
Top Bottom