What do you feed your meatbirds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Dodgegal79, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I was wondering what everyone is feeding. I ma thinking of getting 50 cornish rock giants before the hatcheries close here in Canada for winter and was wonder. I would like to feed them whole grain or something along that line after they are off their starter. Any suggestions??

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Start then off with chick starter, if they are the fast growing out can keep them on the chick starter for the entire time.

Some will put them on a finisher type feed for the last two weeks. It's hard to find a feed that is a finisher in bagged feed. Some feed mills can custom mix a finisher.

Tom

3. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    I use fertrell feed suppliment and their feed formular if you go to thei web site it will give you everything you need to make a batch of feed ,my chickens do very good on it.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We feed our broilers 1 lb of Homestead Turkey Starter then provide them Ad Libitum access to Homestead Fast Grow from Hubbard Feeds.

Jim

5. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Where do you get the other ingredients?
    Do they come ground?
    Do you just mix them as-is and pour it in the feeder??

6. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I've used both Green Mountain Feeds organic broiler feed (20% protein) and Poulin Grain Quik Gro broiler feed (20% protein). The organic stuff smells much better (going in and coming out [​IMG]) but it's almost 70% more expensive.

7. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I feed mine chick starter for the first 3 weeks and then switch them to a broiler/grower to finish them off. Can't wait until they are ready to butcher at 5 weeks they are stinky!! PU [​IMG]

8. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Yeah I'm wondering how bad these guys will smell. LOL. I guess the stuff will be good for the garden. I am trying strawbale gardening next year so i figure this stuff will be good to get the bales heated up.

9. jorgey

jorgey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Utah
    I started mine off on chick starter and then switched them over to Nutrena Meetbird Feed. They did incredible on it and were all ready for butcher at 8 weeks!

10. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I keep mine on chick starter for the first 4 weeks then switch to a mix of flock raiser and cracked corn.

At 10 weeks they average 8 lbs dressed weight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by