What do you feed your turtles?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by buck-wild-chick, Nov 14, 2009.

1. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I have 2 snapping turtles (the nuisance kind you find in ponds).I have been feeding them pellets for 5+years now and they are quite the characters at feeding time [​IMG] .Tonight my dog knocked over the can of feed and ate all of the food [​IMG]. Ill get more tomorrow but I'm wondering if they can have a few pieces of a hotdog? They act like their starving [​IMG]

Also, id like to add more variety to their diet so can they have raw meat or what do yall feed?
    Sometimes I buy them acouple of feeder fish but they will kill them in one night and waste most them.
    Thanks, Tayler

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm sure a couple pieces of hotdogs aren't going to harm those scavengers. [​IMG]

3. Rising_Phoenix

Rising_Phoenix Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Eastern Ks
    If you can get chicken Liver they love that. And almost any kind of bug except lightening bugs their toxic, any type of fish, and beef heart are all recommended foods for Snappers. And just as a after thought how big are these guys and what size tank are they in?

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll be fine for a while, since their cold blooded and all. But I'm sure they'd love little chunks of raw meat, like the scraps from your own meal! And I bet hotdog would be perfectly fine for them.

5. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Quote:Its a 55 gallon tank.They were only 2 inches long when I got them and now they are 7-8 inches.As soon as I can find the right size filter they will be moved into our 100 gallon tank.
    I just tried the chicken livers and they love them !

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  6. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    The camera is MIA but here is a pic from 07. He was doing his food dance.When he sees me walk in the room he freaks out and starts paddling the water trying to get my attention.I will get a video soon
    Please excuse the cloudy tank.I had just cleaned it but we have sulfur water and sometimes air gets into the line and it leaves cloudy flakes.But they filter soon gets it out.
    [​IMG]

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I don't think thats a snapping turtle, at least not a true dog snapping turtle. Looks more like a pond slider or something.

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Yeah, definitely not a snapper. Im more of a snake person, so Im not too good at turtle species. But like stated, it looks like some type of slider.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My brother used to have one similar looking but with red on the side of its face, he gave it ground beef now and then and it loved that!

10. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    [​IMG] I didn't know snapping turtles were an actual breed LOL. I was just calling them that because thats what they would do if you stick your fingers in there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by