1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Armando I 3454, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Armando I 3454

Armando I 3454 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Texas
    I was wondering what y'all feed your chickens? And also if the way I feed them is correct and sufficient enough. I feed whole and cracked corn in the morning and in the evening and I have a continuous feeder in their coop that has layers pellets and I just put it yesterday. Is that enough for them? And what should I add. And what do you guys feed your flocks?

2. rgould34

rgould34 New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    I feed my chickens depending on which ones I'm feeding. I feed my layers laying crumbles and scratch (cracked corn) I feed my meat chickens starter grower and scratch. I have a couple red rangers that I'm breeding and I feed them laying crumbles and scratch

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First off, cracked corn is not a complete ration, and should be used sparingly. Secondly, layer feed is only appropriate for actively laying birds only. If you've got roosters, or birds that are not laying for any reason, layer feed should not be offered. The calcium levels are much too high.
    I like to feed a 20% protein flock raiser feed, with crushed oyster shell offered separately for my flock of mixed ages and genders. It's much easier to only purchase and feed one feed that is safe for everybody.
    Feed should be available all day long.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2 to June's advice.

It is really simple. Every bag of feed I've seen in the last 20 years has feeding instructions on it. Every manufacturer uses different but similar formulas depending on what age and type of poultry for which the feed is intended.

Feed is usually complete and no supplementation is necessary. Feeding chicken candy (corn) isn't the best idea.
    Corn is already the main ingredient in most feeds and only there for energy and the meager nutrients therein. Adding more diminishes nutrition. Limiting nutrition has a negative effect on health and production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by