What do you feed?

I fed scrach before but I found a premix for pigeons now and I want to get way from cracked corn... Now I'm trying to think of something cheap to mix it with because the premix is $23 a bag
ep.gif
th.gif
. I'm thinking whole milo because I'm going to be feeding coturnix quail too and the GBS I found is high dollar also and has plenty of protein ( 32% ) to be toned down. I don't want to spend to much on these pigeons because their just going to be sold to dog trainers for $1.50 ea., but I still want them to be healthy and would like for them to breed.

16% layer pellets,20% chick feed,wild bird seed,oat groats,whole corn and sometimes i add a pre-mix with the peas in winter to faten them up.Oh,and sallflower seed for treats.

Thanks,
Logan

Last edited:
What are the protein requirements for pigeons and do they really need a ton of variety? I'm looking at up to 4 pairs by the end of the year but most of my money is going toward my coturnix then a little toward my chicken projects too. I gave up on the shooters (the market dropped out) but I'd like to get ahold of some fancies to have around. Can I just feed them some of my Game bird crumbles and mix in some cheaper grains? If I knew what % range of protein they require I could balance it. I really enjoyed having pigeons around before but I'd like to have a little fancier birds this time and actually have them breed. I've spotted my hungain house and brunner pouters for a fair price now I just need to find some cheaper runts and someone who has parlor tumblers.

I buy a "dove mix" from IFA, Paradise brand. I don't like it as much as the somewhat pricey Vita-bird cockatiel mix they used to get. They did really well on that with glossy feathers, but I can't find it locally anymore. They get fruit/veggie/insect treats, but our ringneck dove won't touch anything that isn't seed. Millet is the only thing she goes nuts about. She turns her beak up at blueberries, meal worms, etc. They get a bit of grit, but I can't offer it free-feed anymore, because our Oriental frill gluts himself on it. I'm worried that this might mean the feed they are getting right now is insufficient in nutrients, but I'm not sure as the dove does not do this (and has good feather condition, lays normal eggs, etc)..and because the frill eats *anything* with just as much gusto.

Back
Top Bottom