What Do You Fill Your Nestboxes With??

9ByDesign

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Wesley Chapel, FL
I am currently using pine needles, as they seem to be easy to clean out. I am looking for ease of clean suggestions. My hens lay fine in them. Do you have a better method, and how often do you toss/ clean your nest boxes?

TIA

pine shavings keep smell and flies down
thumbsup.gif

Pine shavings work well for us. Just stay away from cedar. Replace shavings as needed, I change mine every 6 to 8 weeks.

For those of you who use hay...why do you like it?

For those of you who use pine shavings (we use this in their coop already) do you just turn it on a regular basis to keep eggs clean or?

I use pine needles raked from my yard- FREE. It seems (I am a new chicken owner this year) that when and if they poop on them in the nests...the poop only sticks to a few of the pine needles, and I can just pick them out and toss them, leaving the rest in. (Do those of you using hay find the same scenario for clean-up?)

I am just worried about (as I said earlier) ease-of-clean AND more importantly, egg cleanliness.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, mine don't usually "go" in the nesting boxes because they are usually on their roosts which is just a ramp of chicken wire with wooden strips on it where they sit, then when they "go" it falls through underneath the coop where we scoop it out and put it in the garden
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom