1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Do You Fill Your Nestboxes With??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 9ByDesign, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 9ByDesign

9ByDesign Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    I am currently using pine needles, as they seem to be easy to clean out. I am looking for ease of clean suggestions. My hens lay fine in them. Do you have a better method, and how often do you toss/ clean your nest boxes?

TIA

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Hay works well, and so does pine shavings. You can also use raked up leaves.

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    pine shavings keep smell and flies down [​IMG]

4. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Pine shavings work well for us. Just stay away from cedar. Replace shavings as needed, I change mine every 6 to 8 weeks.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i only use hay/straw [​IMG]

6. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I use hay [​IMG] When I didn't have any, I tried wood chips: DOESN'T WORK!! They just kicked it out of the boxes all over the place [​IMG]

7. 9ByDesign

9ByDesign Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    For those of you who use hay...why do you like it?

For those of you who use pine shavings (we use this in their coop already) do you just turn it on a regular basis to keep eggs clean or?

I use pine needles raked from my yard- FREE. It seems (I am a new chicken owner this year) that when and if they poop on them in the nests...the poop only sticks to a few of the pine needles, and I can just pick them out and toss them, leaving the rest in. (Do those of you using hay find the same scenario for clean-up?)

I am just worried about (as I said earlier) ease-of-clean AND more importantly, egg cleanliness.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Quote:Well, mine don't usually "go" in the nesting boxes because they are usually on their roosts which is just a ramp of chicken wire with wooden strips on it where they sit, then when they "go" it falls through underneath the coop where we scoop it out and put it in the garden [​IMG]

9. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Pet grade ground corn cob. Find it at Walmart or TSC.
    One 10 litre bag per box with a cup of DE mixed in, for mites and lice, etc. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I use pine shavings in the nest boxes and on the floor. When the nest boxes look a little worn or dusty I just scrape the shavings out onto the floor and replace the shavings in the nest boxes with fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by