What Do You Fill Your Nestboxes With??

Quote:
anything you put in will get 'messed on'. With these, just shake OR rinse.

I also keep them dusted with a heavy load of Diatomaceous Earth to keep any crawlies off the girls.

Quote:
I'm in the Tulsa area about 15 miles north and I have a variety of ages I'm willing to sell. I have Buff Orphington/Rir mix, White Leghorns, EE's, and a few mixes. PM or Email me if your interested.

-Nate

Pine needles from my yard
big_smile.png

Hay, because it's available locally in square bales and they don't kick it out, as they did pine shavings. Seems to cushion the eggs well. When I change it I spray or dust with mite/lice stuff (permethrin/pyrethrins usually.) Don't believe DE works for these. Would use pine straw or dry leaves if they were available for free.

My dad has a pellet stove that he heats his house with and whenever a bag becomes unusable (damp), he gives me the bag and I put that in the nesting boxes. The pellets work well, break down into sawdust and the boxes are easily cleaned up.

I use what ever is handy including, hay, straw, pine straw, shredded paper (don't like so much) pine and cedar shavings, leaves. Never tried the nest pads. I also dust with DE when I clean the nest boxes. DE doesn't wear out so it doesn't need to be changed more often. Also for those that use permethrin or other chemical powders, most are only 5% permethrin and 95% inactive ingredient. Many times that inactive ingredient is DE.

I like to use hay and pine straw mixed, in my brooder coop. The broody will snack on the hay while she is setting.

Back
Top Bottom