what do you get when you cross a....

Quote:
A duck

lol.png
Sorry couldn't resist

That's my thoughts too.

Quote:
those is purty, specially the black and white one, now I'm wondering what my pekin x crested mallards that i didn't really want(layed by my sneaky crested mallard girl) will look like.

Quote:
That is so interesting! I have only seen little blurbs here and there about penguin ducks. In the Asthon's Domestic Ducks book they mention them as having been crosses between Runners and Black Swedish. I wonder what they looked like? Did yours come out sort of like Black Swedish in appearance? I would love to see them.
smile.png

well... my penguin ducks almost resemble anconas the drakes color and rouens which is the ducks color but shes a penguin too! and their offspring look like black swedes, anconas, cayugas, and this batch we got one and it looks like a khaki campbell so i wonder how itll feather out? I guess my duck just have some crazy genetics!
smile.png
big_smile.png
lol.png

I was wondering about our ducks and what mix we would get. We have Pekins and mallards, so basically the same outcome as the pekins and Rouens mix? Or not.

Beautiful ducks, Spectrum Ranch! That is so fascinating that you and Elfy have gotten those results crossing to Pekins. I vaguely remembered reading someone else having bibbed with extended black offspring popping up when crossing to Pekins so I went searching for where I saw that.

I found it! In the Ashton's Colour breeding book they mention doing test crosses to Pekins (page 42 if anyone has the book) and they got some of the same results.
They determined that the Pekin was heterozygous for black, bibbed, and was basically Grey masked by the white.

It is so funny that they are in England and had those results too. Genetics are so interesting, aren't they? I love doing test crosses. If only I had more room to breed lots of babies. LOL
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom